Our cat is fat

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
2:40 PM
Yesterday we took our cat to the vet for her annual check up and boosters. The vet weighed her and said 'ok, we need to talk about her weight-she is fat.

We explained that last year we were on holiday for almost 3 weeks, when we got her back from the cattery she had piled it on so she was put back onto a very strict diet, she has lost some. She has 45g of food every day nothing else, she doesn't have any of our food. We buy biscuits for indoor cats and senior cats, still she has weight issues. We have struggled with this for a few years, she is now 9 years old, she is lazy and doesn't go out.

We have bought prescription food from the vet in the hope that this will help, she is heavier now than she has ever been and her health is very important. We have also bought a laser pen to try to encourage her to play.

Last edited:
I think its probably mainly an issue with her being a house cat. I've known other people who have kept their cats indoors and they have become fat. Is it possible to let her outside? I've no idea if that is advisable if she has never been outside though. Otherwise then as much exercise as you can get her to do and follow the vet's advice on diet.

I have an indoor cat, and although she's not fat, her undercarriage kind of swings, which goes from side to side when she runs.

I think its probably mainly an issue with her being a house cat. I've known other people who have kept their cats indoors and they have become fat. Is it possible to let her outside? I've no idea if that is advisable if she has never been outside though. Otherwise then as much exercise as you can get her to do and follow the vet's advice on diet.

She used to go out when she was younger, she never went very far but there is a catflap in the back door so she has always had access, she has just chosen to stop going out, would much rather laze around all day.

She used to go out when she was younger, she never went very far but there is a catflap in the back door so she has always had access, she has just chosen to stop going out, would much rather laze around all day.

Maybe you could take her out into the garden with you to coax her out again (temporarily block cat-flap to stop her going back in). Or when weather is good perhaps feed her outside?

Maybe you could take her out into the garden with you to coax her out again (temporarily block cat-flap to stop her going back in). Or when weather is good perhaps feed her outside?

We are encouraging her to come out with us and have bought a new toy to play with whilst she is out there so fingers crossed.

My adopted cat (3 years) lives outside except around 7 or 8 o clock at night when he's at my French doors waiting for a feed. He's fed well and is in real good shape, I don't know where he goes for the rest of the time. I assume he gets plenty of exercise?

Russ

We do use the weight control indoor cat food. I think the mfg's don't make it too tasty so the cat eats less.
I put a cup of Purina Cat Chow in her food and now there is no living with her. Must taste much better and she eats more of it and bugs me to no end to feed her more.

When we let our cats roam outside they were skinny. Indoors hard to keep weight off them.
Outside we have Coyotes, Owls a dozen ways for a cat to get in trouble so all indoor now.

UOIiDOs.jpg

Last edited:
When she was little she had an upset tummy, it was dripping out of her, so an emergency vet appointment. She was poorly for a while and thankfully got better but we started to feed her little and often to build her back up again so yes we started the snacking between meals. It hasn't been easy to break that cycle but with persistence it worked and she slipped into the meal time only routine.

I used to have a second hand cat (the owners weren't going to be able to keep him). Rory was a behemoth - there are some larger cats that can carry the weight, but they must have let him have unlimited food. His belly didn't just swing as he walked, it near about dragged!

I put him on a diet and eventually he dropped down to 12 or 13 pounds. His whole personality changed, too. Before he was just sort of a glum cat that simply hung around. He perked up when he didn't have to carry it all around with him any more, and became quite personable. (He eventually passed of kidney failure.)

I used to have a second hand cat (the owners weren't going to be able to keep him). Rory was a behemoth - there are some larger cats that can carry the weight, but they must have let him have unlimited food. His belly didn't just swing as he walked, it near about dragged!

I put him on a diet and eventually he dropped down to 12 or 13 pounds. His whole personality changed, too. Before he was just sort of a glum cat that simply hung around. He perked up when he didn't have to carry it all around with him any more, and became quite personable. (He eventually passed of kidney failure.)

You obviously did him a lot of good.

Health is our reason for keeping on top of things. She seemed to lose the want to play so the laser pen has been a good purchase, she chases it around and has started playing with her other toys as well. With this weather being good she has started going back out and staying out enjoying the sunshine so doing good.

Back
Top Bottom