Our native beverage - Tuba

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
4:40 AM
Tuba is a beverage that comes from the coconut blossom. A container is placed to catch the drips of the coconut blossom that was cut so the nectar would come forth. That cut can produce a liter of tuba, a semi-sweet beverage that is good for cleansing the kidneys and the bladder. Tuba sellers have the beverage inside a bamboo cylinder that they pour in a bamboo glass.

By the way, what I just describe is the crystal tuba. There is another type of tuba that is red in color. It is an alcoholic drink that is imbibed by the rural folks. Red Tuba is cheaper than gin or rum so it is their favorite drink.

Reactions: L_B
Tuba is a beverage that comes from the coconut blossom. A container is placed to catch the drips of the coconut blossom that was cut so the nectar would come forth. That cut can produce a liter of tuba, a semi-sweet beverage that is good for cleansing the kidneys and the bladder. Tuba sellers have the beverage inside a bamboo cylinder that they pour in a bamboo glass.

By the way, what I just describe is the crystal tuba. There is another type of tuba that is red in color. It is an alcoholic drink that is imbibed by the rural folks. Red Tuba is cheaper than gin or rum so it is their favorite drink.

Over here one of the big sensations as of late is coconut water. It is something that people are drinking for vitamins and to be hydrated. It sounds a little bit like your Tuba. The thing about coconut water though, is that studies have shown that coconut water is not any better or my hydrating than regular water. So this is a point to consider.

Red Tuba, mmm. We have a coconut drink here that is a total knockout too. It seems like coconut has so many uses lately, some useful and others not so useful. :D We have the clear Tuba too, just didn't know it is good for cleansing. Thanks!

The Lambanog is another beverage that comes from the coconut tree. However, the Lambanog has high alcohol content so it is only served during occasions particularly in the provinces of Quezon, Batangas and Laguna. The folks there love to imbibe Lambanog during gatherings. It is a no-no for children because it is even stronger than gin or vodka. By the way, Lambanog is a crystal clear drink that can be mistaken for water. Here is a plastic gallon of Lambanog that we bought from the province of Batangas.
IMG_5516 lambanog.JPG

I'm impressed by the size of that bottle considering the alcohol content. I know a lot of people in their early twenties who would love one of those :laugh:

I've tried Tuba and Lambanog, are they the same thing? both have a strong taste of coconut and vinegar. Over here in my region the craze is over Rice Wine. When we have guests over at our house usually gift them with the Durian fruit or rice wine. They're best sellers in Mindanao and always a crowdpleaser. :)

I have tried coconut water and that stuff is awful..I was expecting it to taste so much better since I loved coconut so much. This is a very interesting thread. Before reading this I had never even hear of Tuba and Lambanog.

Never tried any of these but I'll give anything a go. The trouble I find is that it is often difficult to get hold of the real stuff as it is drunk by the local communities and by the time it has been force filtered, sterilized, stored and transported even the finest brew can taste a little like alcoholic bath water.

I've tried Tuba and Lambanog, are they the same thing? both have a strong taste of coconut and vinegar. Over here in my region the craze is over Rice Wine. When we have guests over at our house usually gift them with the Durian fruit or rice wine. They're best sellers in Mindanao and always a crowdpleaser. :)
Oh, tuba and lambanog are 2 different drinks. Tuba, particularly the red variety, is an alcoholic drink that can be compared to beer as far as the effect of alcohol is concerned. The Lambanog is a killer as they say. If you are a real drinker then you should be able to finish half a gallon of Lambanog. But that is just a saying though because Lambanog can make you drunk in just one glass. So if you are not used to drinking Lambanog, you'd better shift to drinking gin or whisky or vodka or rum.

Tuba.png

Is this what you are referring tor? I was going to ask for a picture, but decided to my own research. Is this the finished look? I am also interested in anything that has coconut associated with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom