Recipe Oven dried tomatoes

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:38 AM
We've been making these for years. They can be used as is, chopped up and thrown in with chicken, olive oil, fresh basil and some pasta for a quick flavorful dish, used to make pesto, chopped up and mixed with EVOO, parm and fresh basil for a bruschetta topping, anything you would use dried/dehydrated tomatoes for.

You do have to freeze these for storage. We portion them and freeze in small bags.

5 pounds Roma tomatoes
2/3 cup EVOO
1/3 cup dried basil
1/3 cup finely grated parmigiano reggiano
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt

Prepare large sheet pans by lining with foil and placing racks in them.

Wash tomatoes. Slice 1/4 inch thick, discarding tops and bottoms, and coring if not fully ripe.

Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Working in batches, toss tomatoes in oil mixture. Place tomato slices on racks in pans.

Optimal oven temp is 170 F on convection settings, but not all ovens will go that low. If yours will not, set oven at 200 F. Cook for 4-6 hours until the tomatoes dry, but are still slightly moist. You do NOT want them to start browning. They should be a deep red.

Same tray after 4.5 hours in oven.

Last edited:
We've been making these for years. They can be used as is, chopped up and thrown in with chicken, olive oil, fresh basil and some pasta for a quick flavorful dish, used to make pesto, chopped up and mixed with EVOO, parm and fresh basil for a bruschetta topping, anything you would use dried/dehydrated tomatoes for.

You do have to freeze these for storage. We portion them and freeze in small bags.

5 pounds Roma tomatoes
2/3 cup EVOO
1/3 cup dried basil
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt

Wash tomatoes. Slice 1/4 inch thick, discarding tops and bottoms, and coring if not fully ripe.

Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Working in batches, toss tomatoes in oil mixture. Place tomato slices on racks in pans.

View attachment 43554

Optimal oven temp is 170 F on convection settings, but not all ovens will go that low. If yours will not, set oven at 200 F. Cook for 4-6 hours until the tomatoes dry, but are still slightly moist. You do NOT want them to start browning. They should be a deep red.

Is this photo the finished result? I ask because they don't look very 'dry'.

I'm pretty sure they are the "prepped" tomatoes, before going in the oven. :whistling:

CD

Yes, they are in the oven now.

Craig bought a 25 pound box at the restaurant supply. The oven is full with 3 trays. I'll be making tomatoes all day tomorrow too, plus we are going to make a "mother sauce" with some of them.

5 pounds Roma tomatoes
2/3 cup EVOO
1/3 cup dried basil
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt

View attachment 43554

Brilliant!!!
I would love to do this with Heirloom Tomatoes.
Do you vacuum seal?

Good timing medtran49, tomatoes are cheap and plentiful here at the moment, and I have 9 plants in the greenhouse about to start bearing fruit. I bought a dehydrator a couple of years ago, mainly for this purpose, but the heating element has failed. An oven based alternative method is needed!

Back
Top Bottom