kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
10:41 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
Kalua Pig & Cabbage is found not only in homes but in restaurants as well in Hawaii. It's really a combination of two dishes, Kalua Pig (or Pork) that has Sweet White Onions aka Maui Onions and Green Cabbage added to it. This will make that batch of meat feed more people and yeah, Cabbage is really good for you.
You'll need to make the Pork first and here's how:

Oven Kalua Pig

The size of Pork Butt or Shoulder comes in varying sizes, so I’ve come up with a recipe that is adaptable.

Ingredients:

Pork Butt or Shoulder (bone-in or boneless doesn't matter)
Coarse Sea Salt
Liquid Smoke

You’ll also need:
Banana Leaves, washed well; enough to wrap the meat up like a burrito (you can find this at most Asian or Hispanic markets)
Heavy Duty Foil

Method:

For each pound of Pork use:
½ Tbsp. Coarse Sea Salt
¾ Tbsp. Liquid smoke

Pre-heat the oven to 500⁰F/260°C.
Line a high-sided baking dish, large enough to accommodate the piece of Pork, with enough Foil to be able to wrap up the meat completely and tightly.
Next, add a layer of Banana Leaf, again, large enough to be able to wrap the Pork up like a burrito.
Place the Pork into the pan and rub the Liquid Smoke all over the meat and then sprinkle evenly with the Salt.
Wrap the meat in the Leaves and then the Foil, crimping the edges together.
Cover the entire pan tightly with another sheet of Foil.
Into the oven the pan goes for 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 325⁰F/162°C.
Bake for an additional 3 ½ hours.
Allow to cool, unwrap and discard the foil and leaves (save all of the juices).
Shred the meat how you like, either by hand or using two forks and mix in those juices.

finished product, oven kalua pig 001.JPG

Kalua Pig is lovely all by itself, but why not take it to another level?

Kalua Pig & Cabbage

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil (any neutral oil will do)
1 C. Kalua Pig
1/2 C. Sweet White Onion, large chop
2 C. Green Cabbage, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/4 - 1/2 C. Water

Method:

In a large sauté pan, heat the Oil over medium heat.
Spread the Kalua Pig out in the pan and let it get a little crisp around the edges, then give it a good stir.
Add in the Sweet White Onions and stir fry them with the Pork to they are just barely cooked.
Pour in the Water, start with a 1/4 cup, and deglaze the pan.
Sprinkle the Cabbage over the top; cover and cook until the Cabbage is a crisp-tender or to your desired texture, adding more Water as needed.

kalua pig and cabbage.jpg

In Hawaii, we serve our Kalua Pig & Cabbage over steamed White Rice, MMM, ONO (that's Hawaiian for delicious)!

Remember now, a recipe is just someone else's idea, you take it and make it your own.
Does your household really like Cabbage, put in more!
Would you rather the Pork shine through more?
Don't care for Onions, leave them out all together.
Portioning of each ingredient is total your call.

I love how different cultures around the world use the same excellent ingredients to create lovely dishes.
I like the method of being able to prepare a part in advance, and also store for later. I like the fact it is fresh cabbage,for the sweet and mild taste of it.

In a region in Croatia there is a popular dish,with many variations across the country, with Sauerkraut and pork. One can mix fresh and pickled cabbage and the meat can be as is, or smoked. Often it would be served with mashed potatoes or baked potatoes.

1646549805481.png

recepti.hr picture.

I love how different cultures around the world use the same excellent ingredients to create lovely dishes.
I like the method of being able to prepare a part in advance, and also store for later. I like the fact it is fresh cabbage,for the sweet and mild taste of it.

In a region in Croatia there is a popular dish,with many variations across the country, with Sauerkraut and pork. One can mix fresh and pickled cabbage and the meat can be as is, or smoked. Often it would be served with mashed potatoes or baked potatoes.

View attachment 81933
recepti.hr picture.
Agreed!
The Pork brings to mind US style "Pulled Pork", done many ways, depending upon where you are in the US

Back
Top Bottom