Oven vs Griller

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
3:54 AM
When we bought a new cooking range late last year, that's the only time I got to know about the difference of the griller with the oven. The oven has the fire underneath while the griller has the fire above. Well, grilling pork is now much easier because there's no problem with the dripping oil from the pork. And with the oven, we now can cook cassava cake (like a pudding) with ease.

I didn't know that. When we talk about grilling here in the United States we used are meaning a barbecue grill which is something we use outside. We also have indoor electric grills. Here in the U.S. I am not sure we have grilling ranges, but we do have a broil feature with most ovens and also have indoor grills like table top grills George Foreman for instance we can use.

I didn't know that. When we talk about grilling here in the United States we used are meaning a barbecue grill which is something we use outside. We also have indoor electric grills. Here in the U.S. I am not sure we have grilling ranges, but we do have a broil feature with most ovens and also have indoor grills like table top grills George Foreman for instance we can use.
Broiling (US) is the same as 'grilling' (UK) and other places...

UK grilling is over the top heat or the French call it a salamander and under heat grill is a flare grill or bbq, and then there is a George Foreman grill

We have an over the top broiler in our oven as well, and I do like to use it a lot, mainly to brown off dishes such as casseroles and sear meats. My previous electric ovens however were more inconvenient, placing the broiler underneath the oven, below the electrical element that heated it. This was less convenient since you couldn't adjust the distance of the food from the broiler. In our gas stove with the broiler on top we can at least adjust the rack up or down a bit so taller items aren't directly hitting the flame.

America's Test Kitchen suggested doing a test with your broiler with some slices of bread on a baking sheet, so you can get a better idea of where the hot spots are, if any.

I seldom try to cook something in it's entirety under the broiler though, with the exception of perhaps a piece of fish or some other seafood. But stuff like fatty steaks and chicken with the skin on, I avoid because they will splatter too much and can flare up and catch fire under the broiler. Also, I found out that you need to be careful with what type of cookware you use under the broiler - and that glassware such as Pyrex is not safe to be used under it. We've had a few scares when placing Pyrex dishes under it to broil something and the glass shattered.

Back
Top Bottom