Oxtail

I've never even seen an oxtail, let alone thought about cooking one. My experience with oxtail is limited to Heinz tinned soup.
Waitrose often sell them. And I have seen them in Tesco's. They are about £6.50 a kilo at Waitrose. Dead easy to cook - especially if you have a slow cooker. They look like this:

LN_040254_BP_11.jpg

I also like Heinz oxtail soup! :happy:

My mom use to cook oxtails and I haven't had any in a very long time. The oxtail curry does sound good with some rice.

In my mother country we had this recipe called KARE KARE using oxtail that is cooked in peanut butter sauce with vegetables like eggplant, squash, etc. With small sauteed salted shrimps as its side dish. You can check and search the recipe in youtube with actual instructions about the ingredients and the procedures how to cook it.

In my mother country we had this recipe called KARE KARE using oxtail that is cooked in peanut butter sauce with vegetables like eggplant, squash, etc. With small sauteed salted shrimps as its side dish. You can check and search the recipe in youtube with actual instructions about the ingredients and the procedures how to cook it.
This sounds very interesting indeed. It must be very rich! I like the idea of the shrimps. S

I have only cooked with oxtail a few times and made the obvious stews, soups and broths. I like the curry idea mentioned above as I am a fan of spice. I'm sure I have heard of people roasting and braising oxtail too. Due to the texture of the meat when it is slow cooked, I think it would make an excellent variation of bouef bourgignon.

We have an original recipe for that ox tail. No, it's not the famous kare-kare of Filipinos. It is the tamarind flavor to cook the ox tail. The tamarind is the young leaves that we mix when the ox tail is boiled for tenderizing. Additional flavoring is salt. That simple. But the garnishings are vegetables of your choice. In the US, you can add broccoli to that dish, it is very appropriate. But that dish is best eaten with steamed rice.

We have an original recipe for that ox tail. No, it's not the famous kare-kare of Filipinos. It is the tamarind flavor to cook the ox tail. The tamarind is the young leaves that we mix when the ox tail is boiled for tenderizing. Additional flavoring is salt. That simple. But the garnishings are vegetables of your choice. In the US, you can add broccoli to that dish, it is very appropriate. But that dish is best eaten with steamed rice.
We can get tamarind here (either in a block or a paste). I can imagine this combination would work well because the tamarind's tart sour flavour would counteract the richness of the oxtail. I must try it.

We can get tamarind here (either in a block or a paste). I can imagine this combination would work well because the tamarind's tart sour flavour would counteract the richness of the oxtail. I must try it.
I was given a box of whole tamarinds the over day shells on stones in ,the taste was unique sour ,smooth and intense,used them for a ketchup and it was so very like hp

I was given a box of whole tamarinds the over day shells on stones in ,the taste was unique sour ,smooth and intense,used them for a ketchup and it was so very like hp
Hey! Not surprising, because tamarind is an ingredient of HP sauce! I just happened to know that because I once embarked on a rather silly cooking project to try and replicate our favourite sauces and pickles. I soon realised that it was pointless, since I could just buy the original sauce more cheaply than I could make it! :laugh:

Be sure to have the beef tenderized without the tamarind yet. You mix the tamarind with the beef and the broth plus the seasoning when you are ready to eat. That will take about 15 minutes only. But if you want to add flavor, fry some crushed garlic until brown and sprinkle it on the beef tamarind before serving. That will give more flavor and aroma as well.

Be sure to have the beef tenderized without the tamarind yet. You mix the tamarind with the beef and the broth plus the seasoning when you are ready to eat. That will take about 15 minutes only. But if you want to add flavor, fry some crushed garlic until brown and sprinkle it on the beef tamarind before serving. That will give more flavor and aroma as well.

Do you mean that I should cook the oxtail without the tamarind first and then add tamarind 15 minutes before the end of cooking?

Do you mean that I should cook the oxtail without the tamarind first and then add tamarind 15 minutes before the end of cooking?

Yes, exactly that. Tenderize the beef by itself before adding the tamarind flavor and cook it again for 15 minutes so the flavoring will penetrate the ox tail. Over here, that ox tail dish is served on special occasions only.... because it is expensive.

Yes, exactly that. Tenderize the beef by itself before adding the tamarind flavor and cook it again for 15 minutes so the flavoring will penetrate the ox tail. Over here, that ox tail dish is served on special occasions only.... because it is expensive.
Oh. Thank you. I'm going to try that. Oxtail is a cheap meat here! I think because its a bit of the animal left over after all the 'prime cuts' are removed. I wonder why its expensive where you are (unless all beef is expensive)?

Oh. Thank you. I'm going to try that. Oxtail is a cheap meat here! I think because its a bit of the animal left over after all the 'prime cuts' are removed. I wonder why its expensive where you are (unless all beef is expensive)?

Beef is the most expensive meat here but ox tail is double the price of ordinary beef maybe because of that delicacy. We have the famous kare-kare with ox tail as the primary ingredient that is served mostly in classy restaurants. But if you want a cheaper price, you can go straight to the slaughterhouse where they sell at farmgate prices. However, we only do that when buying in large volumes of 10 kilos or more.

Back
Top Bottom