Paella: its a journey.

bburned

Local time
7:53 AM
I'm not great at Paella. too much water, too little water. I'm learning. even the carbon steel pan has a learning curve.

I have gotten it down for the most part. I use my charcoal Weber Kettle grill, and my 15" carbon steel pan. I am not attached to the seasoning of the pan anymore, because ironically, nothing strips pan seasoning from a paella pan, than paella. (its the tomato).

I'm gonna make the lesser dramatic Arroz con Pollo this weekend, but here is my latest Paella.

I'm not great at Paella. too much water, too little water. I'm learning. even the carbon steel pan has a learning curve.

I have gotten it down for the most part. I use my charcoal Weber Kettle grill, and my 15" carbon steel pan. I am not attached to the seasoning of the pan anymore, because ironically, nothing strips pan seasoning from a paella pan, than paella. (its the tomato).

I'm gonna make the lesser dramatic Arroz con Pollo this weekend, but here is my latest Paella.

View attachment 86482

..regarding water - well first off, I use stock as the liquid - nowadays a combination of homemade prawn and chicken stocks. I keep a kettle of hot water at the ready if I need to do a top up near the end of cooking if I feel the rice is still too al-dente. Then there's a rest period of about 15 mins at the end (I cover the pan with a large bit of foil) to let the rice steam fully and for the dish to cool before eating.

Paella is great fun to make - I feel like I am really cooking when I get that big pan out. Lots of pre prep cooking and chopping though... :)

It´s been a while since we made one - it´s a lovely dish for 10 people, but not so much fun for 2.
I´d never use water; you need fish stock for a good paella. and I only use one tomato in a paella; it´s all about the seafood to me. Once the rice is almost done, I add the seafood and cover it, so the clams, etc. just sort of steam. Saffron and a touch of dry sherry adds a classic touch!

Last edited:
..regarding water - well first off, I use stock as the liquid - nowadays a combination of homemade prawn and chicken stocks. I keep a kettle of hot water at the ready if I need to do a top up near the end of cooking if I feel the rice is still too al-dente. Then there's a rest period of about 15 mins at the end (I cover the pan with a large bit of foil) to let the rice steam fully and for the dish to cool before eating.

Paella is great fun to make - I feel like I am really cooking when I get that big pan out. Lots of pre prep cooking and chopping though... :)
Yes. Stock. I was speaking figuratively.

Back
Top Bottom