Recipe Palak Paneer

swalia

Veteran
Local time
6:15 AM
Palak Paneer is a popular North Indian recipe which is made using spinach and fresh cottage cheese. It is one of my favorite dishes. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 kg spinach
250 gms of cottage cheese (cut cubes and lightly fried till brown in a tsp of clarified butter)
1 tsp cumin seed
3 to 4 bay leaf
4 tomatoes (blanched in hot water, peeled and pureed)
2 onions
1 inch piece of ginger
7-8 garlic flakes
2 green chili
Pinch of sugar granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp dry mango powder
3 tsp oil
1 tsp butter
1 tsp fresh cream

How to make palak paneer:
  • Remove spinach leaves from stem and wash leaves well.
  • Take 2 glasses of water when it starts to boil, then add spinach, onions, green chili, garlic and ginger with a pinch of sugar granules to it. Let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
  • Switch of the heat and let the spinach cool down.
  • Blend the spinach mixer in a blender and make a thick spinach paste.
  • Heat a heavy bottomed wok; add oil and butter to it, when the oil is hot add cumin seed and bay leaves. When a cumin seed starts to crackle add the tomato paste and let it cook for 5-6 minute on medium heat. Then add spinach paste along with spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and dry mango powder; let it cook further for another 5 minute.
  • Add the fried pieces of cottage cheese and mix it well. Cook and cover on low heat for 4-5 minute.
  • Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cream.
  • Serve hot with rotis or steamed rice.
palak-paneer.jpg

I make my own Paneer - which is very easy (lemon juice and milk). This recipe refers to it as 'cottage cheese' which I think could cause a lot of confusion because in the UK and America, Cottage Cheese is not something you can cut into chunks. It looks like this:
cottage cheese.jpg

Paneer is a semi-firm mild cheese which can be cut into chunks. It looks like this:
Paneer.jpg

But, aside from that, I like the recipe and will try it out! This recipe is from http://tutstack.in/palak-paneer-recipe/. Please credit recipes copied from other websites, folks!

Thanks for the clarification regarding cottage cheese. I wasn't aware of this.
I will keep in mind to mention the credit for recipes in future.

Was this entered in the Challenge? It looks like it could qualify. As for me trying it, it looks like I would have to go shopping. Cottage cheese and mango powder would be needed, not that I ever follow a recipe to the letter.

I totally love both Shahi and Palak Paneer. I usually get one or the other when I go to Indian restaurants. As usual though the dish although delicious looking looks a bit intimidating to try to make. Do you have any simple Indian food recipes?:) I am a bit lazy, and will usually only cook recipes that fewer ingredients, I have no clue if I could even find mango powder around,,Certainly not in this immediate area..

I totally love both Shahi and Palak Paneer. I usually get one or the other when I go to Indian restaurants. As usual though the dish although delicious looking looks a bit intimidating to try to make. Do you have any simple Indian food recipes?:) I am a bit lazy, and will usually only cook recipes that fewer ingredients, I have no clue if I could even find mango powder around,,Certainly not in this immediate area..

If mango powder is a problem, you can skip it. It will not make much difference to the dish. I generally don't use sugar granules and mango powder when I cook Palak Paneer.
As for simpler recipes, I would definitely post some :)

Back
Top Bottom