Pan Steaming

CraigC

Guru
Local time
1:38 PM
I don't know if this is an actual method, but I like to put butter and water in a saute pan and add vegetables like carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes or sprouts. I cover the pan and bring it up on high heat. As it steams the water evaporates, leaving the butter and now cooked vegetable in the pan. Depending on how I finish the vegetable, I'll either just season with S&P or like I did for T-day sweet potatoes add other ingredients to create a glaze. Does anyone else do this?

I think I have done this before but I don't know what the method is called either! I sometimes cook carrots this way with fresh herbs added. Cooking 'en papillote' with butter and a little stock would produce similar results, I think.

This has reminded me to post a recent experiment I had cooking carrots...

I've occasionally come across this. Two instances come to mind immediately - the first is a way of cooking very small new potatoes (between cherry and plum size). Straight from the ground and into the saucepan. A little bit of water in the pan, plus either olive oil or butter. Cooked very quickly on a high flame - and it produces perfectly cooked (but small) potatoes, glazed with either oil or butter.

The other is a Tuscan recipe that I'd give part of my right arm (but only a very small part) to find again. It starts with celery (and perhaps onion) sautéed in lots of olive oil, then potatoes are added, plus enough water just to cover, then cooked on a low flame for 20/30 mins. All the liquid is absorbed by the potatoes. Served with a small mountain of parmesan. A simple but stunningly good winter dish.

Craig, I do this as well, but a tip I got from my daughter is just before serving add a teaspoon of chicken stock with a bit of water, stir and serve. It does make a difference.

Russ

I do something similar by heating olive oil in a pan and adding vegetables and usually garlic. Stir around a bit then add water to steam. Sometimes add a few chilli flakes at the end. My favourite way to greens.

I don't know if this is an actual method, but I like to put butter and water in a saute pan and add vegetables like carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes or sprouts. I cover the pan and bring it up on high heat. As it steams the water evaporates, leaving the butter and now cooked vegetable in the pan. Depending on how I finish the vegetable, I'll either just season with S&P or like I did for T-day sweet potatoes add other ingredients to create a glaze. Does anyone else do this?
Yes, and it is an actual method! There is a traditional French dish of peas and lettuce that is cooked in this way. I will try and dig out the recipe,

Back
Top Bottom