Pancake Day

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:12 AM
Next Tuesday (28th Feb) is Pancake Day (also known as Shrove Tuesday). The name Shrove Tuesday comes from shrive, meaning absolution for sins by doing penance. Legend has it that the tradition of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday came about as a way of using up rich foods, like eggs, milk and sugar before the 40 days of fasting during Lent. In the US, Shrove Tuesday is known as ‘Mardi Gras’ which means 'fatty Tuesday' in French.

The pancake has a very long history and featured in cookery books as far back as 1439. The tradition of tossing or flipping them is almost as old: "And every man and maide doe take their turne, And tosse their Pancakes up for feare they burne." (Pasquil's Palin, 1619).

A traditional English pancake is quite thin (although perhaps not as thin as a French Crepe) and made simply with eggs, flour and milk. Lemon juice and caster sugar are the traditional toppings for English pancakes although some people add golden syrup or jam.

English Pancakes
images-182.jpeg

Scotch Pancakes
images-183.jpeg

Scotch Pancakes are quite different from English pancakes and are very similar (if not the same) as American pancakes. They are much thicker and, unlike the English pancake, the batter is sweetened with sugar.

Of course, pancakes don't have to be a sweet dish - savoury pancakes can be made too. One of my favourite dishes is spinach and ricotta stuffed pancakes.

So will you be cooking pancakes next Tuesday? If so, what kind and what will you choose to top them with?

Read more

Our family adore pancakes made on Shrove Tuesday.

It was always special growing up too, but once we got to being teenagers it was decided that we had to do our homework rather than get in the way in the kitchen so my mum used to make them, roll them up and keep them warm for a special pudding. I do remember one particular Shrove Tuesday fell in half term we were spending the day at my grandparents. Their kitchen was big enough for us all to join in the fun of tossing our pancakes, cooked on the Aga, and my brother managed to get his stuck to the high ceiling, I think it was there for a while.
Once I left home and started living in student accommodation, my friends and I started the tradition of pancake parties, which meant that I made several pints of batter and we invited various boyfriends and other friends to come round and have fun cooking and attempting to successfully toss our pancakes.

Various toppings and fillings have been tried over the years but sugar and lemon remain the most popular.
For a few of my daughter's teenage years we also had lots of alternatives on the table, including chocolate chips, toffee sauce, golden syrup, tinned peaches, squirty cream and Nutella but eventually it was concluded that we would be happy as long as there was fresh lemons and either sugar or golden syrup.
Pancakes are very forgiving and versatile so really anything could go but there's something about tradition.
By chance my daughter is going to be with us this weekend so we will be having our pancakes early. She has introduced her fellow students to pancake parties so I expect they'll also have them on Tuesday as will we.

Some people will make a pancake and serve it immediately to whoever's turn it is next but we established a way of having 2 frying pans on the go, making a pile of pancakes until all the batter has been used up, keeping them warm in the oven, then all sitting down together. Then we all have one each until the pile has been eaten.

The proportion of ingredients that I use is from my Good Housekeeping cookbook previously mentioned in the My Cookery Books thread.

Ingredients
125g / 4oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg
300ml / 1/2pint milk or two-thirds milk and one third water (I do this)
Making the batter
Mix the flour and salt, make a well in the centre and break in the egg. Add half the liquid, gradually working in the flour using a wooden spoon, starting in the centre and working out until all the flour is incorporated. Beat the mixture until smooth, add the remaining liquid gradually, beating until well mixed and the surface is covered in tiny bubbles. This is actually very easy but even easier in the electric mixer, especially if you are making double quantities.
The batter can be used at once or left to stand in a cool place to rest. Rebeat before using.
Frying the pancakes
Heat a little lard or oil in a heavy based flat frying pan until really hot, running it around the sides of the pan, pour off any surplus into a cup to use for the next one. Using a jug or ladle pour a little batter in from the side of the pan, raising the handle, so that a very thin skin of batter flows over the pan, move it to and fro until the base is covered. Place over a moderate heat and leave until the pancake is golden brown underneath, and sides can be lifted by a flat spatula and the top is covered in tiny bubbles. Make sure it is not stuck anywhere by shaking the pan. Flip it over with the spatula or toss the pan holding the handle with both hands and catch it as it turns over in the air. Cook the second side until golden brown. Keep warm between 2 plates in a warm oven or serve immediately. Repeat, putting more oil or lard into the pan, swirling it round and pouring into a cup, add more batter and cook in the same way each time.
Should make 8 pancakes.

Cooked pancakes keep well if wrapped and stored in the fridge but ours never get the chance. Reheat in an ungreased hot frying pan, turning them once.

Of course its tradition that the first pancake in each pan is never quite right and you get better at frying them, the more you make.

Can't wait!!

Golden syrup or light treacle is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugarsolution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts.
Golden syrup - Wikipedia
images-188.jpeg

Substitute corn syrup - although Golden Syrup is on sale in some US supermarkets (in the baking section and often in squeezy bottles) I am informed.

Golden syrup or light treacle is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugarsolution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts.
Golden syrup - Wikipedia
View attachment 5502
Substitute corn syrup - although Golden Syrup is on sale in some US supermarkets (in the baking section and often in squeezy bottles) I am informed.
Not corn syrup but cane syrup which is available at all major grocery stores including Walmart. Typically on the top shelf beside the black treacle (molasses).

Last edited:
Though you were right in most Americans use it rather than golden syrup on their pancakes.

I expect I will make pancakes for me and hubby as brunch during the day. We like them plain with just a bit of sugar and lots of fresh lemon.

I have found thin pancakes (crepes) to be a little more delicious than thicker pancakes. The pancakes in the picture above look delicious though.

Back
Top Bottom