Pancakes versus Waffles

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
6:17 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I feel like when it comes to sweet things for breakfast, people are in either one of two camps as their favorite/preferred choice. People are usually either waffle lovers or pancake lovers. Sure, you can enjoy both, but some people have a really distinct preference.

I'd have to say that if I was forced to choose, I'd probably say pancakes. I still love waffles too but I prefer pancakes because they're a little smoother - waffles are sometimes too crunchy for me!

What about you? Are you on team pancake, or team waffle?

Definitely on the (UK) version of a pancake side of life here, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that waffles need a while iron to make them whereas in the UK at least a pancake only needs a griddle or large (dry) frying pan. I like my pancakes large and flat with lemon juice and sugar.

I like both too, but I would have to say I prefer pancakes too. I love their softness and delicousness. There is nothing quite like a hearty pancake breakfast on a cold morning. I have had some very good waffles in my day too...but like you said they are a bit on the crunchy side.

I like pancakes. I have never cared too much for waffles. I could probably count on one hand how many times I have ever eaten waffles. I eat pancakes quite often though.

I have always heard of waffles and knew that they were related to pancakes in some way, but I cannot recall ever eating them. Therefore, I cannot really compare the two. I will have to do a search for waffles online and see what the ingredients are and how they differ from pancakes. From reading the other posts here, I understand that waffles are somewhat crunchy, while pancakes are smooth. Considering this, pancakes would have to be my first choice.

Got to be pancakes for me...with things like strawberries or raspberries rolled inside.

I have always heard of waffles and knew that they were related to pancakes in some way, but I cannot recall ever eating them. Therefore, I cannot really compare the two. I will have to do a search for waffles online and see what the ingredients are and how they differ from pancakes. From reading the other posts here, I understand that waffles are somewhat crunchy, while pancakes are smooth. Considering this, pancakes would have to be my first choice.

Basically the ingredients are the same, it's just the way they look/preparation method that's different. To make waffles you need a special waffle iron - they look like this:

belgianwafflemaker.jpg

I like them and they can be fun in the sense that you can add things like chocolate chips into those "squares", but sometimes they are just too crunchy. I like pancakes more because they're just softer!

For me waffles are a daytime snack or a dessert (to be eaten with chocolate sauce and squirty cream) rather than a breakfast item so I guess if its breakfast we're talking about then it'd have to be pancakes (but only American style ones - for me British ones are also a dessert). Having said that, I very rarely have sweet things for breakfast

I am considering buying a waffle maker though because its true that you can't really make them without the proper equipment. Though as I probably won't be making lots and lots of waffles, I really want one with changeable plates that can be used for panini and toasted sandwiches too.

I prefer waffles more so for the texture as it holds up better than pancakes. I usually find pancakes become all soft and gooey which is great. Though, sometimes I like my stuff to hold together without me needing to try and scope. Hmm, maybe I'm just loading up my breakfast with too much stuff?

I am on team pancake! I love them in all shapes and sizes, but being from Belgium I prefer the crepe style, big and flat. I eat them with honey and lemon and sometimes melted chocolate :)
I do love to make small, thick banana pancakes, especially for breakfast.

Neither but I plan to make some pancakes as someone who wants to join the family likes them.

I am on team pancake! I love them in all shapes and sizes, but being from Belgium I prefer the crepe style, big and flat. I eat them with honey and lemon and sometimes melted chocolate :)
I do love to make small, thick banana pancakes, especially for breakfast.

Ooooh! From Belgium and you chose team pancake! I would have thought you would pick waffles! People I know who have travelled to Europe say the waffles in Belgium are the best of anywhere they've had!

Yes, waffles are the best in Belgium, cupcakechef, but pancakes are too :) I do love waffles, but if I have to choose, the pancakes win :-p

Back
Top Bottom