Pandan Leaf

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:30 PM
I bought some pandan leaves (they are frozen) from a local Turkish run mini market. They come all the way from Thailand. The question is, what to do with them? Have you ever used them before?

I've never cooked it myself but the most famous pandan leaf dish over here is small boneless chicken pieces wrapped in pandan leaves (sort of like tying the leaf in a knot around the chicken) and then deep fried. I suppose you could also wrap pork and cook similarly.

I've never cooked it myself but the most famous pandan leaf dish over here is small boneless chicken pieces wrapped in pandan leaves (sort of like tying the leaf in a knot around the chicken) and then deep fried. I suppose you could also wrap pork and cook similarly.

What sort of taste does it contribute to the chicken?

What sort of taste does it contribute to the chicken?

I suppose it's a sort of pandan leaf taste. I find it quite pleasant. I think the idea is to marinate the chicken in pandan leaf juices first, i.e. use some of the leaves to liquidise for the marinade. I really don't know, I've never cooked it.

However, I shall buy some pandan leaves and give it a go in the near future.

I suppose it's a sort of pandan leaf taste. I find it quite pleasant. I think the idea is to marinate the chicken in pandan leaf juices first, i.e. use some of the leaves to liquidise for the marinade. I really don't know, I've never cooked it.

However, I shall buy some pandan leaves and give it a go in the near future.

I've been looking it up - I now realise that Kewra water (used in Indian cooking) is extract from pandan. Its not the articially coloured green extract which you will be able to buy in Thailand. I've been using it for years in rice and in curries. It adds a slightly perfumed, almost vanilla taste. Quite lovely.

I will try extracting juice from the leaves to marinade as you suggest. It seems easy enough to do - there are various videos on u-tube.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom