Paneer

Miaka_M

Veteran
Local time
6:41 AM
One of the best Indian dishes that I like, include Paneer! The 2 versions that I like include: Shahi paneer and Palak paneer. If you haven't tried any of these, then I suggest you do (just make sure it's not over your spice limit). Shahi paneer is the tomato and cream version (with various spices) and it tastes great with naan (Indian flat bread). I usually add a bit of sugar to my dish because it tastes a lot better. Palak paneer is the spinach version (again with various spices) and I like it best with basmati rice.

palakpaneer.jpg
<-- palak paneer
ShahiPaneer.jpg
<-- shahi paneer

Have you ever tried them? If so, which was your favourite?

Mmmmmm, those dishes really look good! I have never tried them but I would love to! Do you have recipes to share about the two dishes?

I agree, they're absolutely delicious! I normally don't measure the ingredients, but I can find the measurements online and combine them with my recipes.

Palak Paneer Recipe (cook time should be about 10 minutes:

1 Spinach Pack
1 paneer pack
1 or 2 Chilli green peppers (chopped fine)
4 Garlic cloves (I usually cook without garlic, I use something we call "hing")
1 small onion (the hing usually substitutes are onion as well)
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1/2 - 3/4 tsp of garam masala powder
1 - 2 tbsp of cream
2 tbsp of butter (usually unsalted)
1 bay leaf
add some salt and water for taste and texture

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/palak-paneer/ <-- you can follow the directions as posted here, but keep in mind that I don't use some of those ingredients listed.

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/shahi-paneer.aspx <-- you can find the recipe that I use for the shahi paneer here, but I add a small amount of sugar and I don't use the garlic and onion.

Indian is my favorite type of cuisine! Thank you for sharing these recipes. I'm always in the mood for a nice cheese paneer, and my vegetarian husband can enjoy it too! Thanks for sharing :)

Palak Paneer is one of my go to Indian curries, when I go out to an Indian restaurant. I highly recommend it. I've never tried Shahi Paneer though, so maybe I'll try it next time I see it on a menu.

I was going to try making paneer (cheese) last night, but I didn't have enough cheesecloth. It looks very simple. But, I also see several different methods: one uses buttermilk and whole milk, and the other uses just whole milk. Both use an acid. I think I'll try making it two different ways and see which comes out best.

@MiakaM,

Nice Paneer récipes.

I have never made Indian cuisine at home.

We go to a very very exemplary Indian owned and staffed restaurant in Barcelona, close to the British Embassy. It is always packed so one must reserve a table for the weekends at least 2 - 3 weeks in advance. The owner, also owns a Madrid Capital venue and it is not far from the Madrid based British Embassy.

My husband and I have only had the Spinach Paneer a couple of times as an appetiser with assorted Indian Breads. We shared it .. I love spinach however, I would have to find a cream substitute .. or use a small potato to thicken or Organic flour

I am veered towards Fish & Shellfish Tandoori and spicy spicy Madras or Vindaloo Curry with either fish or prawns or vegetables ..

Thanks for posting the récipes ..

Last edited:
Yum. It is quite simple to make paneer at home.

Just heat 2 litres of milk , add 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon. and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir. Remove from heat. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Pour into a colander/strainer lined with a cotton cloth, leave to drain then fold the cloth, forming the curds into a brick.

Place in a shallow dish then add a weight on top - I use a plate plus a tin of tomatoes - and refrigerate overnight.

The next day drain away any whey then unwrap your paneer & slice for use in curry.

It is impossible to buy it here so I had to learn as we eat a lot of Indian food.

I totally agree. Paneer is my go-to ingredient as well whenever I am planning to cook something special for my friends or family. It is a form of Indian cottage cheese that is used to make a variety of dishes.

Some of my favourite paneer dishes are:

1. Paneer Kofta:

They are small rounds of stuffed paneer, with ingredients like khoya and raisins added to increase the aromatic flavours. I got the recipe of this lip-smacking dish from one of the small Dhabas in Dehradun called Sampoorna Bhojan.

2. Matar Paneer:

Matar Paneer is an exotic North-Indian dish that boasts of lip-smacking ingredients like Paneer and a gravy made up of peas, tomatoes and a hoard of Indian spices. The dish goes well with both rice and Indian bread (naan)

3. Kadai Paneer:

Kadai Paneer is a popular Indian delicacy that is made up of paneer added to a gravy of kadai masala. You can find a lot of variations of this dish all over India, with the ingredients of kadai masala varying from region to region. It is one of the most popular dishes for Indian weddings and parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom