Panettone

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:24 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Panettone is a fluffy, light, with big air bubbles inside, Italian type of sweet bread loaf originally from Milan– but what is its secret and who invented Panettone?
Panettone.jpg

Legend has it that the Duke of Milan had ordered his cook to serve aspecific, traditional sweet to the lavish Christmas banquet. The long-awaited dessert burnt in the oven, however, and there was not enough time to start again the recipe from scratch. A servant had kept a bit of the dough for himself, though… he was hoping to bake it once the banquet was over, and celebrate Christmas with a full belly: raisins, candied fruit, sugar, eggs, the servant had put together all he could find around the kitchen.
The cook found the servant’s secret stash and decided to bake the weird loaf as a last-minute dessert; it was a success! Not only the Duke liked the new big loaf of sweet bread – he even deemed it so good that he didn’t want any other sweets for all the Christmas banquets of the following years.
Centuries later, the Panettone has become the symbol of Italian Christmas cuisine - and the secret to its fluffiness is that once it's baked it is suspended upside-down until cold.

Have you tried panettone French toast? I found a place called World Market, where they carry several flavors like chocolate chip, lemon, fig Etc. Great with fresh fruit on the side and Mimosas to go with for a holiday breakfast or brunch. They also come in mini size. Nice for gift giving.

Last edited:
Have you tried panettone French toast? I found a place called World Market, where they carry several flavors like chocolate chip, lemon, fig Etc. Great with fresh fruit on the side and Mimosas to go with for a holiday breakfast or brunch. They also come in mini size. Nice for gift giving.

I heard it but I never tasted it. It must be a real goodness

Panettone is a fluffy, light, with big air bubbles inside, Italian type of sweet bread loaf originally from Milan– but what is its secret and who invented Panettone? View attachment 21416
Legend has it that the Duke of Milan had ordered his cook to serve aspecific, traditional sweet to the lavish Christmas banquet. The long-awaited dessert burnt in the oven, however, and there was not enough time to start again the recipe from scratch. A servant had kept a bit of the dough for himself, though… he was hoping to bake it once the banquet was over, and celebrate Christmas with a full belly: raisins, candied fruit, sugar, eggs, the servant had put together all he could find around the kitchen.
The cook found the servant’s secret stash and decided to bake the weird loaf as a last-minute dessert; it was a success! Not only the Duke liked the new big loaf of sweet bread – he even deemed it so good that he didn’t want any other sweets for all the Christmas banquets of the following years.
Centuries later, the Panettone has become the symbol of Italian Christmas cuisine - and the secret to its fluffiness is that once it's baked it is suspended upside-down until cold.

I love love the stuff :thumbsup:

I heard it but I never tasted it. It must be a real goodness

Slice it as you would bread, dip it in beaten egg and milk and whatever else you'd like to add (lemon juice or cinnamon or booze), and fry it up in a skillet with butter. You can top it with slivered almonds, and serve it with fresh fruit on the side, like strawberries etc. I usually make it for a holiday breakfast or brunch with mimosas.

Slice it as you would bread, dip it in beaten egg and milk and whatever else you'd like to add (lemon juice or cinnamon or booze), and fry it up in a skillet with butter. You can top it with slivered almonds, and serve it with fresh fruit on the side, like strawberries etc. I usually make it for a holiday breakfast or brunch with mimosas.

Thank you, that's a very nice way to re-use leftover panettone. I'll surely give it a try and I'll let you know

Back
Top Bottom