Paper Airplanes

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:55 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Just when you think there are no important topics to discuss anymore, I bring you this. I saw a cartoon yesterday where one of the characters played with a paper airplane. I hadn’t thought about paper airplanes since my kids were young.

I’m not talking about any elaborate, competition level paper airplanes. I just mean ones you can make out of a sheet of paper by folding.

I now recall that there were two main styles of paper airplanes. One was a stub nose airplane that could do loops. The other was a hyper sonic jet that could travel long distances. I liked that one because it was easier to make, and it was fun to see how far you can get a paper airplane to fly.

I remember what a technological breakthrough it was when I found out about putting a paper clip on the end. It made it fly further.

Discuss.

I have a wonderful plastic slinky that is so elastic and flexible it is brilliant. Oddly your thread reminded me of it, but I now live in a house without many steps and no staircase, so we'd have to build a series of steps using books in order to play with it again....

But the house is ideal for paper airplanes....

I now recall that there were two main styles of paper airplanes. One was a stub nose airplane that could do loops. The other was a hyper sonic jet that could travel long distances. I liked that one because it was easier to make, and it was fun to see how far you can get a paper airplane to fly.

I remember what a technological breakthrough it was when I found out about putting a paper clip on the end. It made it fly further.

Discuss.
I guess I watched too many episodes of Battlestar Galactica in my school days because I wanted something bigger/fancier. So I remember stapling those two paper airplanes together (the sleeker in front of the snub-nosed glider) and launching it off the roof of my mom's office building. It actually worked pretty well!

Ah the good old days of paper planes and model rockets. Why were we in such a hurry to grow up again? LOL
My middle older brother was stationed in Germany during his stint in the army and I got him into it. Don't think we could still ship the solid rocket engines there these days. Had a kid (total jerk) in my class at the time build a Wac (sp) Corporal and shoved a "D" engine in it by leaving out the engine mount and gluing it in. It was supposed to accept an "A" size at most. He launched it and it was never recovered. he got an "F" for that one. Ever build a multi stage rocket?

Last edited:
My middle older brother was stationed in Germany during his stint in the army and I got him into it. Don't think we could still ship the solid rocket engines there these days. Had a kid (total jerk) in my class at the time build a Wac (sp) Corporal and shoved a "D" engine in it by leaving out the engine mount and gluing it in. It was supposed to accept an "A" size at most. He launched it and it was never recovered. he got an "F" for that one. Ever build a multi stage rocket?
No, most of the ones I built were A-sized engines. Growing up in Jamaica we had difficulty bringing in the rocket engines. Which eventually lead to my waning interest.

No, most of the ones I built were A-sized engines. Growing up in Jamaica we had difficulty bringing in the rocket engines. Which eventually lead to my waning interest.
I did try a "B" engine in a model car designed for a small CO2 cylinder. Moved a lot faster with the rocket engine.:peekaboo:

Back
Top Bottom