Paprika - smoked or not?

Local time
8:17 PM
Website
www.helium.com
I use a lot of paprika, and just lately, I've tended more towards smoked paprika. I find it just gives that extra dimension of taste, and a richer colour t the finished dish. So far this week, I've used it in vegetable soup and a pork, pepper and mushroom casserole.

What about you? Do you prefer regular paprika or smoked? And how do you use it?

One of my colleagues at work made some paprika popcorn with smoked paprika, it was delicious, and horribly, horribly more-ish!

I must get the recipe from her, but I think it was just freshly popped popcorn tossed in a mix of smoked paprika and a little sugar, and perhaps some oil or butter. I think it was the combination of the spice and the sweet that made it irresistible. I could have eaten a bucketful. Maybe there's a recipe online....

sweet smoked paprika is the one,add it to mayonnaise for chips, add it to a veg casserole,adds depth and flavour not a true substitute to paprika but it has had a use in my kitchen for many years

Not keen on smoked paprika..........reminds me too much of smoky bacon crisps.

One of my colleagues at work made some paprika popcorn with smoked paprika, it was delicious, and horribly, horribly more-ish!

I must get the recipe from her, but I think it was just freshly popped popcorn tossed in a mix of smoked paprika and a little sugar, and perhaps some oil or butter. I think it was the combination of the spice and the sweet that made it irresistible. I could have eaten a bucketful. Maybe there's a recipe online....

I had a go at this flavouring the other day, on some roasted squash seeds. Very nice. COuld maybe have taken a little more smoked paprika, it was a touch sweet, but I just guessed at the proportions of paprika and sugar.

I just started cooking with this about a year ago, and I was pretty shocked at how strong and pungent it was. Paprika was always one of those spices that didn't really impart much flavor unless you put a lot of it in something. It was usually more for color or decoration in most cases. But the smoked stuff is a whole different story. It immediately reminded me of a whole pig roasting over a BBQ or something like that. It has kind of a "meaty" quality to it in terms of its smell.

I like it, but I only use it in very small amounts. Which is not really a bad thing, since it's a bit pricier than most other spices in my neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom