Parsley Root

Discussion in 'Vegetables, Salads and Mushrooms' started by morning glory, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I'd not come across this until now - but its a revelation. Its really delicious. Some say that the taste is like parsnips mixed with carrots and it certainly looks almost identical to parsnip. To me it is much more perfumed and tastes of parsnip with a hint of carrot and Jerusalem artichokes. Its lovely grated in salads or made into a puree.

I think it may be more well known in the USA? Has anyone else tried it?

fullsizeoutput_4573.jpeg

2. MrsDangermouse

MrsDangermouse Senior Member

Ooh that's a coincidence.....we decided to grow parsley root this season. Hubby likes parsnips (I don't) and the seed catalogue said it tastes like parsnip so we thought we'd give it a go even though we'd never heard of it (we like to try to grow at least one thing new to us each year). If the predominant flavour is still parsnip then I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I do like carrots and jerusalem artichokes so maybe there is hope :happy:

morning glory likes this.
  3. morning glory

I like parsnips so I can't really say if you will like these @MrsDangermouse - be interesting to see what you think. When do they get harvested?

4. MrsDangermouse

MrsDangermouse Senior Member

Its going to be a while....they're still quite small:
    UomdU33l.jpg
    Supposedly they can be harvested in late summer/autumn, though you can leave them in the ground over winter and just harvest them as and when you need them.

5. morning glory

So the parsley it sprouts is the flat leaved type?

6. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

Now, this is funny. I'm sure I've seen it at the more well-stocked fruit and vegetable markets (not at supernarkets), but I'm sure I walked right by it, thinking it was a parsnip. They look virtually identical! Even if they are in bins with the greens attached, that doesn't necessarily clear it up. I will have to pay closer attention next time!!

Here's a parsnip:

parsnip.jpg

And, here's a parsley root:

2026.png

morning glory likes this.
  7. morning glory

Please do look out for it. I'd love to know what you think about the taste.