Party time of year

Dados1950

Über Member
Local time
12:22 PM
Don't remember if I posted this article before...but since Christmas and New Year's party time...thought worth repeating....have some fun...

Another fun idea for a party that’s simple and easy is wine and cheese. Think of it as a dinner party with relatively easy prep and clean up. We all enjoy having dinner, in or out, with friends. No one likes to eat alone and sharing time with friends is healthy and enhances relationships…not to mention just plain fun! Most “social drinkers” prefer wine over traditional alcohol cocktails. Want to please everyone…even have some beer available!

Many people consider a dinner party a very time consuming and daunting task and thus don’t have as many of these get togethers. A simple wine and cheese party can create a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere to enjoy your friends’ company.

Basically, all you need are wine glasses, some small plates, cocktail napkins (paper is fine) and you’re good to go. You don’t need an assortment of wine glasses if you don’t already have ones for red and white wine. Likewise, you don’t need a collection of plates..just some small party plates will do. Napkins….go to your local party store and get some small cocktail napkins in colors/patterns to match the occasion or décor.

If you want to add some flair, use tea lights or small candles for atmosphere and mood setting. Light music adds to the entertaining atmosphere.

Now for the most important part….the wine and cheese!

In its simplest form, you can get your favorite dry red and white wines and a sweet red or white to complete the selection and cover everyone’s tastes and serve them with assorted cheeses like Swiss, brie, cheddar, bleu, Gouda and an Italian favorite. There are also a variety of cheese “spreads” and flavored cream cheeses that can add different flavors and textures. A bunch of fresh grapes adds some additional personality and flavor to the presentation Assorted crackers and crusty bread complete “the meal”. Another option is to add a selection of sliced meats to the cheese board. A small bowl of assorted olives is another nice touch.

Note… with a little careful shopping, you can easily get a nice quality bottle of wine for $10 or less. Also..from my experience… guests will offer to bring a bottle of their favorite wine to share with everyone which adds more variety and personality to the selection.

If you want to get more elaborate…consider pairing the cheese with the complimentary wine. Wine and cheese from the same region tend to go well together but it doesn’t mean you have to serve a French wine with a French cheese or Swiss with Swiss. Do what’s comfortable for you.

Some suggestions…

Camembert with Chenin Blanc or Cabernet

Brie with Merlot, Champagne or a Sweet Sherry

Roquefort with Tawny Port

Sharp Cheddar with Cabernet, Sauvignon Blanc or Rioja

Italian Cheese with Chianti

Muenster with Beaujolais or Zinfandel

Swiss with Gewurztraminer

I hope I’ve convinced you that a very comfortable and enjoyable get together can be accomplished with just a little effort and not a great expense….and…you won’t have a lot of dirty dishes to clean !

@Dados1950

Absolutely an amazingly dazzling way to have a wonderful day or evening ..

Of course, I am quite a cheese & wine "aficionado" ( enthusiast ) and my husband and I and our family do this quite often ..

I would also add fresh herbal goat cheese with a lovely chilled White Prosecco, Cava, Champage, Galician Cambados Albariño, Gewurztraminer .. or Fino (Dry Sherry ) .. So many options ..

Another two blue vein varieties we adore are Cabrales and Picón from Asturias. Aged Gorgonzola is a marvel as well ..

@ElizabethB

I am a " cheese aholic " !

So many cheeses to select from here in Spain alone .. We have over 100 cheese denominations or origins ( appellations ) including the 7 Canary Islands and 3 of the Balearic Islands out of the 4.

I am a grand fan of French and Italian cheeses as well ..

Definitely an amazing dessert which is a norm for us served with fruit and wine or Port or Brandy ..

We probably don't do enough cheese boards and wine pairings. I fell in love with a French roquefort on one of my trips to Antibes. Papillion Black Label. I tried to find it locally with no luck. While on the trip to Marseilles where I had my "French Misconnection", I managed to bring home 2.2 kilos of it. I did manage to find the Red Label locally, but not the Black Label. One Sunday morning, while out for breakfast, we passed by a market and were attracted to the bell peppers in an outside display, red and yellow $.99 a pound. We decided to explore this market. Guess what I found in the cheese case! Been getting it there ever since.

Back
Top Bottom