Pasta Bar

Discussion in 'Rice, Pasta, Pulses and Grains' started by detroitdad, 26 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

I'm thinking of hosting a small New Years Eve get together for 8-12 people. I was thinking of trying my hand at a pasta bar.

What do you suggest that I provide with the pasta bar? I also don't want to spend a silly amount of money on this. Please keep that in mind lol.

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Do you mean what kind of pasta dishes to serve? Are you meaning pasta salads?

3. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

I'm thinking of making a few different pasta's, a few different sauces (red and a white sauce), chicken, steak, grilled veggies, ect....Then everyone can make their own pasta dish using whatever ingredients that I have already prepared?

4. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

I googled "pasta bar". Something like this.

Header-Image_800x550.jpg

5. CraigC

CraigC Über Member

IMHO, pasta needs to be served as soon as it is ready and not "hang out" until folks are ready to eat. The exceptions are pasta salads. One of our favorite sauces to go with a mushroom featured pasta dish (usually ravioli) is a brown butter sage sauce.

6. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

The only thing that would be prepared ahead of time is the additions to the pasta. I wouldn't cook the actual pasta until it was time to eat. And I feel like I could do that because it's going to be a small gathering

7. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing, cherry tomatoes, bacon

Cheesy garlic bread
    Prosciutto-wrapped breadsticks

Minestrone

Marinara sauce
    Alfredo sauce
    Pesto sauce
    Red and/or white clam sauce

Meatballs
    Sausage

Ravioli

Steamed broccoli or asparagus

Tiramisu
    Cannoli

I might skip the beef and chicken Etc.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2018
  8. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

9. epicuric

epicuric Veteran Staff Member

I can see that working well with fresh pasta - it cooks very quickly. On the other hand, if you used dried pasta, especially wholewheat, it can take an age to cook.