Pasta Makers

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
5:11 PM
Manual? Automatic? Gift for my son and his girlfriend. Limited counter space, plenty of storage.

Budget up to $200.00 bucks.

What do you have? What do you suggest?

Thanks

Manual? Automatic? Gift for my son and his girlfriend. Limited counter space, plenty of storage.

Budget up to $200.00 bucks.

What do you have? What do you suggest?

Thanks

I have a hand cranked one, so my first-hand advice is something powered.

CD

A manual one, I have.

I was gifted (via freecycle) a completely unused electric one. It's great for spaghetti and tageatelli (spelling? ). Pasta sheets are less successful because they come out wound up simply because of the design constraints so really consider what exactly they would be using it for. And if you don't chop off a length immediately and unwind instantly you will end up putting it back into the machine to try again. I actually now make ravioli by hand as a result, by which I mean a rolling pin.

So I'd be asking a few questions first... sheet pasta or spaghetti? Which is their preference?

I´ve got an Imperia as well. Honestly? A bit messy and awkward, which means that I don´t use it as often as I should.. I´d look at an automatic one.

Whatever you do, don't get a cheap manual one. I went through two before I wised up and got a Marcato Atlas which has been going strong for probably 8 years by now.

Glad this thread was posted. I just bought these attachments for our Kitchen Aid. They are on sale for $59.99 right now plus there was a coupon for a little more off for me. They are after market parts but are stainless. There are all in 1 roller/cutters for sheets/fettucini/spaghetti but I decided to go with separate ones.

Roller and w cutters for Kitchen Aid

We've had a hand crank one for ages. I'm talking going on 30 years. Don't remember brand and it's up high where I can't reach without getting on the step ladder but it is stainless with no rust after that long so obviously a good one. Box is long gone. I can roll the pasta by myself but prefer to have help as it's just easier.

detroitdad If you are talking about a start to finish electric pasta maker, someone on another forum has a Phillips automatic pasta maker and uses it several times a month. Also stated in their post that they'd had other automatic machines in the past and Phillips was the best they'd used. They are a little over your $200 but not by much. I'll PM you the link to the post/thread.

Glad this thread was posted. I just bought these attachments for our Kitchen Aid. They are on sale for $59.99 right now plus there was a coupon for a little more off for me. They are after market parts but are stainless. There are all in 1 roller/cutters for sheets/fettucini/spaghetti but I decided to go with separate ones.

I've been thinking about getting one of those pasta attachments for my KA mixer. I would think it is easy to store when not in use.

CD

I've been thinking about getting one of those pasta attachments for my KA mixer. I would think it is easy to store when not in use.

CD
It's worth it. I have a set for my KA and it works fine, mind you I have replaced the roller die fro. The bering started to squeak and finally started to leak lubricant...KA is not what it use to be.

It's worth it. I have a set for my KA and it works fine, mind you I have replaced the roller die fro. The bering started to squeak and finally started to leak lubricant...KA is not what it use to be.

Yeah, I've heard reviews of KA stand mixers lately that were not stellar. Mine is 20 years old, so maybe it is better made.

The pasta kit that Medtran posted is not a KA brand. Maybe it is better, or maybe not. She seems happy with hers.

CD

The pasta kit that Medtran posted is not a KA brand. Maybe it is better, or maybe not. She seems happy with hers.

CD
I'll give a review once I use it. Supposed to be here tomorrow. I did note it was an after market piece in my original post.

I'll give a review once I use it. Supposed to be here tomorrow. I did note it was an after market piece in my original post.

Sorry, I thought you already had it. Please give a review when you have it , and have used it. I may buy one if you like it.

CD

So I'd be asking a few questions first... sheet pasta or spaghetti? Which is their preference?

Thanks. This never crossed my mind. I absolutely will inquire about this.

Marcato Atlas

Thank you. I will add it to my research list.

We've had a hand crank one for ages. I'm talking going on 30 years. Don't remember brand and it's up high where I can't reach without getting on the step ladder but it is stainless with no rust after that long so obviously a good one. Box is long gone. I can roll the pasta by myself but prefer to have help as it's just easier.

detroitdad If you are talking about a start to finish electric pasta maker, someone on another forum has a Phillips automatic pasta maker and uses it several times a month. Also stated in their post that they'd had other automatic machines in the past and Phillips was the best they'd used. They are a little over your $200 but not by much. I'll PM you the link to the post/thread.

Thank you. I haven't had time to look at the link yet. I plan on it in the next few days.

Thanks everyone else for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom