Pasta, Pasta, Pasta

Discussion in 'Rice, Pasta, Pulses and Grains' started by Karen W, 7 May 2019.

Tags:
  1. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

I love pasta! Fat pasta, skinny pasta, long pasta, short pasta, stuffed or layered, homemade or store bought. Hot or cold. It's all good. Do you have a favorite pasta dish? Do you make your own? Any tips or tricks?

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I used to eat a cook a lot of pasta when my kids were young. They all loved it and it was easy to vary the ingredients and include lots of vegetables. Sadly, I think this rendered me with pasta overload! I'm not very keen on it these days unless its something like ravioli. I do still make pasta dishes though (posted one yesterday) and sometimes I make my own pasta.

TodayInTheKitchen likes this.
  3. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

A few I like are Pastitsio (Greek), Pad Thai Noodle (Asian), anything and everything Italian, and homemade flavored, plain or whole wheat/grain. Manicotti or stuffed shells, linguine and clams or clam sauce, cold pasta salad. The list goes on.

4. CraigC

CraigC Über Member

Have you tried homemade squid ink pasta?

5. morning glory

I love it and have made it. Its a lot easier now I can get squid ink in sachets/jars. I remember making it from raw squid ink sac .... very messy!

6. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

It would look nice in my apothecary jar on the kitchen counter.

e8d80b34c9b80b928e376c5db5863f96.jpg

Last edited: 7 May 2019
  7. morning glory

I have some pasta exactly like that in my cupboard! I'll try and use it for something soon. Its so pretty that I can't decide what it would look good with...

8. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

Asparagus with butter, lemon juice, and grated Parmesan cheese.

Last edited: 7 May 2019
  9. morning glory

I was thinking asparagus too - its asparagus season here. Definitely needs something green or green and red.

10. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

11. TodayInTheKitchen

TodayInTheKitchen Active Member

I am a huge fan of pasta dishes. Sadly, I am not industrious enough to make my own pasta. However, I have discovered that buying higher quality pasta does make a difference. My favorite spaghetti noodles are Delallo Organic noodles.

12. rascal

rascal Über Member

Store bought fettucine mainly here, kids and grandkids love all pastas. I've now got a machine with recipes so no doubt I'll be going down that road soon.
    I love flat noodles Chinese style.

Russ

Karen W and TodayInTheKitchen like this.
  13. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

Since Spring is here, pasta primavera (pasta with vegetables) and lamb chops are calling me. I've heard of spaghetti cooked in red wine, and want to find a recipe to try. Beef Stroganoff over broad egg noodles is another favorite. Pasta con broccoli (pasta w broccoli, butter & parmesan cheese) is quick and delicious. So many pasta dishes that I enjoy. Hard to pick one.

epicuric and TodayInTheKitchen like this.
  14. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

An excellent source, for me, re homemade pasta is recipetips.com. ,under Homemade Pasta. Easy step-by-step instructions and pics on everything from making the dough to flavored pasta, i.e. spinach, broccoli, beet, carrot, herb tomato, skid ink, etc. I dusted off the Imperia, and made lemon pasta simply topped w butter, lemon pepper and parmesan cheese, with steamed asparagus alongside.

One of the best & easiest to follow homade pasta resources, imo.

Recipetips.com
    Homemade pasta

15. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

A quick and easy go-to I grew up with - cottage cheese & noodles. Mix cooked & drained broad egg noodles with butter, a pinch of salt and cottage cheese. Simple and delicious. More than the sum of its' parts.