Pastas - Variations on a Theme

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:34 PM
I can hardly go three days without using some form of Pasta. And like everything, I go for diversity and there is a great diversity in Pastas, from simple Spaghettis, Vermecellis, Linguinis and Fetucinnes to stuffed Tortellinis and Raviolis. Pastas comes as Elbows, Spirals such as Rotinnis, Pennes Sheets like Lasagna and stuffable forms like Shells, Manicottis and Mastacciolis. There are odd shapes, like Bows, Cellentanis, Casarecces, Strozzapettis and Campanelles. And still, others like Orzo, Fusillis, Picis, Soup Stars, Ditalinis and Pastinis. Some are blended as Garden Varietals with Spinach and Tomato and certainly, Egg Noodles and Tagliolinis. And some are not made from Wheat. Rice noodles are for example, an alternate.

I might rattle on for a while in this opening post. But why exclude other opinions on the Pasta Theme? And for that matter, how these varieties can be used in meals?

Pasta varieties...that's one area that has changed since I was a kid.

Back then, the pasta aisle at the grocery store consisted of spaghetti, lasagna noodles, egg noodles, and elbow macaroni. Nowadays, even at my po-dunk local Kroger, I can get probably 40 different pasta varieties, things like fettuccine, linguine, pappardelle, campanelle, fusilli, etc, and if I go just 30 minutes to a better grocery, I can get 40 more.

I don't use them in any groundbreaking way, just in soups and tossed with sauce, though I did make an egg dish using toasted pasta once. That was good. My wife's favorite dish when she isn't feeling well is a pile of mashed potatoes covered in buttered egg noodles, and let's just say, she's "not feeling well" quite a lot. :wink:

I do a lot of store bought stuffed Pastas, Tortellinis, Tortellonis and Raviolis.

These can be stuffed with a wide variety of ingredients, Spinach, Cheese, Crab, Lobster, Shrimp, Chicken and many other things. Some of the Pasta part is simple white and soft, while some have more colored and rigid textures.

I've got to get into the swing of making my own.

Stuffed Pastas, besides Tortellinis, Tortellonis and Raviolis include Mezzelune, Capelletti, Agnolotti, Fagottini, Fansotti and Giant Ravioli things that I don't have a name for.

We can also include Gyoza.

Besides stuffing Shells (Conchiglie) and Manicotti, I forgot in the original post to mention Cannelloni. One could also roll parts of Lasagna Pasta (lengthwise or widthwise) around some ingredients to form stuffed Pasta dish.

Pappardelle is one I haven't yet heard of. It looks worth a try.
Very much worth a try especially if you can get it ridged on one side.
1606574753411.png

Stuffed Pastas, besides Tortellinis, Tortellonis and Raviolis include Mezzelune, Capelletti, Agnolotti, Fagottini, Fansotti and Giant Ravioli things that I don't have a name for.

We can also include Gyoza.

Besides stuffing Shells (Conchiglie) and Manicotti, I forgot in the original post to mention Cannelloni. One could also roll parts of Lasagna Pasta (lengthwise or widthwise) around some ingredients to form stuffed Pasta dish.

Fansotti... you mean Pansotti, the Ligurian stuffed pasta served with walnuts sauce?

Have any of you ever made your own pasta? I've never done it but I am addicted to cooking shows and see it all the time. I don't really enough pasta enough to warrant buying a roller. If you have, do you notice a big difference in taste?

Have any of you ever made your own pasta? I've never done it but I am addicted to cooking shows and see it all the time. I don't really enough pasta enough to warrant buying a roller. If you have, do you notice a big difference in taste?

You can make it without a machine. A rolling pin will suffice. I do make it sometimes. Its not very difficult really. I suppose I generally don't make it myself because store bought is good quality and very cheap. If you want to try it just make a small amount. Its simply eggs, flour water. Or even simply flour and water.

You can make it without a machine. A rolling pin will suffice. I do make it sometimes. Its not very difficult really. I suppose I generally don't make it myself because store bought is good quality and very cheap. If you want to try it just make a small amount. Its simply eggs, flour water. Or even simply flour and water.

That makes sense. I've made dumplings from scratch so it sounds like just another step. Maybe I'll do that just to try it. Thanks.

I created a thread for Pasta Machines...

Pasta Machines

Back
Top Bottom