Patatas Bravas

ScandiBrit

Local time
12:34 AM
Hi

I love this dish . . but never made it. I read a few recipes where the cubed potatoes are booked but in water and a splash of white vinegar. . is this correct and if so, why?

Richard

Hi

I love this dish . . but never made it. I read a few recipes where the cubed potatoes are booked but in water and a splash of white vinegar. . is this correct and if so, why?

Richard
I don't know if it's correct, as I've never heard of the dish, but I do know that boiling potatoes in vinegar water is supposed to help them retain their shape.

Now that I think about it, I have seen these before...once. I watched an incredibly irritating person on some Public Broadcasting show talking about these, then she brought someone into her kitchen and had them make these for her, while she condescending talked all about them.

Her whole demeanor was one of privileged entitlement; she was filmed walking down a street in Spain, and she just sort of...floated?...down the avenue, camera in front of and well below her, so the viewers' perspective was of being quite literally beneath her, while she regally surveyed the street before her, like some kind of royalty, then she came back home (to the US) and grandly stood in the kitchen blabbing while having someone else make them for her, giving the cook instructions and pointers the whole time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It was very weird.

Hi

I have eaten tapas in Spain a few times (oh I sound privilidged!) and I am loving the taste but am often shocked of the total cost at the end of an evening! Seen some simple dishes often at €6-8 euros

Hi

I have eaten tapas in Spain a few times (oh I sound privilidged!) and I am loving the taste but am often shocked of the total cost at the end of an evening! Seen some simple dishes often at €6-8 euros

Tapas can be crazy expensive indeed, but depends where you go. In Barcelona I was with a friend who lives there and she took me to Poble-sec, a neighborhood that's full of small tapas bars, where most tapas are 1,5€ - 1,8€. The whole fun of it is going bar hopping and eating and drinking different things in each bar :) (and of course drinking Moritz which tastes like water to me).

Hi - -- local guides . . always the best.

I think it was in Madrid I had this taps, of oven cooked oven pork in a tomato sauce. . .oh wow . . it brought tears to my eyes!

Rich

One of my favorite Tapa has been for the last 50 yrs Huevos Rotos con Patatas y chorizo or sausage egg and chips. Poncy tourist bars do not serve it but the Tapa bars in non touristy areas of inland Spain you still get a plato pequeño free. Its so delicious you order and pay for a big plate. The salt kicks in,one beer becomes ten.

Tapas can be crazy expensive indeed, but depends where you go. In Barcelona I was with a friend who lives there and she took me to Poble-sec, a neighborhood that's full of small tapas bars, where most tapas are 1,5€ - 1,8€. The whole fun of it is going bar hopping and eating and drinking different things in each bar :) (and of course drinking Moritz which tastes like water to me).

My only Tapas bar-hopping experience was in Barcelona. It was tasty, but not cheap, for sure. I was there by myself, and everyone could tell I was American. They weren't very welcoming.

IIRC, one of the items I had was patatas bravas.

CD

Gonna try that, I love Patatas Bravas!
A good mate opened the first La Tasca in Bolton. He went on to build the brand throughout the UK. He was a businessman so at the right moment he sold the chain for a large amount.When he ran the chain he adhered to the original concept of the profit is in the booze not the food. "Founder Neil Gatt, who opened the first La Tasca restaurant in Manchester in 1993 with financial backing from 3i, had been planning to float La Tasca next year. He said Penta's approach in June to buy the business for "a fantastic price" had taken him by surprise.

The chain of 16 restaurants employs 800 staff, serves more than two million customers a year and has annual sales of about £20.3m and operating profits of £3m."

SPANISH: La Tasca, Spanish Tapas Bar and Restaurant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom