Recipe Peanut Brittle

mjd

Veteran
Local time
4:52 PM
TIP: I usually use a non-stick spray on the inside of the measuring cup when using a very sticky ingredient like corn syrup, honey, etc.

100006738.jpg

1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
3 cups shelled raw peanuts

Measure the vanilla into a small bowl and set aside. Combine the baking soda and salt in another small bowl and set aside. Butter 1 cookie sheet with sides or jelly roll pan liberally with 1/2 stick of the butter. Set aside.

Combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, attach a candy thermometer and cook over medium-high heat until the syrup spins a thread when poured from a spoon or reaches 240 degrees F on the thermometer. Stir in the peanuts and continue cooking and stirring until the candy becomes golden brown or reaches 300 degrees F.

Remove from the heat immediately and quickly add the remaining 1 stick butter and the vanilla, baking soda and salt. Stir only until the butter melts, and then quickly pour the brittle onto the cookie sheet, spreading the mixture thinly. When the brittle has completely cooled, break the candy into pieces and store in a tightly covered container.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/peanut-brittle-2109925

Last edited by a moderator:
JAS_OH1, that is an idea. How much are you thinking? Maybe a 1 tsp or so?

rascal, you're funny. ;-0
Sounds about right. Turmeric is great as a savory touch to sweet. If you try that golden milk you will see what I mean.

Reactions: mjd
Sounds about right. Turmeric is great as a savory touch to sweet. If you try that golden milk you will see what I mean.

OK. This is my first time trying it. I liked the chicken soup and was considering the golden milk recipe as I have insomnia (PTSD related). I'm constantly exhausted and the sleeping pills aren't working any longer. I prefer to not take medications but I've been going on 4-5 hours of sleep for over 20 years.

Thanks!

That has given me an idea for Christmas hampers. Thank you! Given how well salt works with sweet things (think salted caramel), do you think salted peanuts would work?

That has given me an idea for Christmas hampers. Thank you! Given how well salt works with sweet things (think salted caramel), do you think salted peanuts would work?

I am so sleepy right now. My brain asked "Why does he want to put salt in a thingy for holding dirty laundry (definition of hamper in the US)?" I gotta get some sleep. LOL

OK. This is my first time trying it. I liked the chicken soup and was considering the golden milk recipe as I have insomnia (PTSD related). I'm constantly exhausted and the sleeping pills aren't working any longer. I prefer to not take medications but I've been going on 4-5 hours of sleep for over 20 years.

Thanks!
Ah. My insomnia is "hubby snores" related. But lack of sleep sucks no matter what the reason. I hate meds too. Sometimes I take a benedryl if the snoring becomes so loud that nothing else works. Oh, and the snoring is often "too much whiskey" related. As long as I get to sleep before he does I am okay, but that rarely happens :(

• Sad or Sorry
Reactions: mjd
What about turmeric and honey glazed peanuts?

Ah. My insomnia is "hubby snores" related. But lack of sleep sucks no matter what the reason. I hate meds too. Sometimes I take a benedryl if the snoring becomes so loud that nothing else works. Oh, and the snoring is often "too much whiskey" related. As long as I get to sleep before he does I am okay, but that rarely happens :(
I reckon its the main reason couples in later life opt for separate bedrooms.

I reckon its the main reason couples in later life opt for separate bedrooms.

My parents had two more children when I was in college (all of us have the same mother and father). I was so shocked (nobody wants to think about their parents being intimate) and wondered to myself "I didn't even know they spoke to one another." :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom