Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:02 PM
[Mod.Edit: Posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

,just watched food factory, national geographic channel. They just done peanut butter.
Did you know average kid in usa before they graduate eat 1,500 pb and j Sammy's.
That's a lot.

Russ
And the ones who do rarely eat them as adults. Speaking for myself anyway. I haven't had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since 1979.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still eat them regularly.
Yeah, maybe so, but you weren't one of the kids who ate 1500 of them (or maybe you did and somehow aren't repulsed by them now, I don't know how). I may have surpassed that number, because if I didn't want to eat liver or something equally vile my mother diabolically prepared for dinner, peanut butter and jelly or bologna sandwiches were my options, and I detest bologna..so...

But even if I didn't dislike them, handling the Peter Pan Peanut Butter recall for salmonella ruined peanut butter as a whole for me forever. I can't even eat PB cookies. I drove all over the state, which was quite pleasant, but I had to stand in the backroom of grocery stores, open each can, puncture the seal, and put the lids in one bag and the jars of peanut butter in another. The manufacturer did not want us to throw the jars as-is into dumpsters for fear homeless people might find unopened peanut butter and eat it, which would make them horribly ill or kill them. We are talking 1,000s of jars of peanut butter that had to be destroyed in this fasion. That was probably 10 years ago. The smell of peanut butter...shudder.

Yeah, maybe so, but you weren't one of the kids who ate 1500 of them (or maybe you did and somehow aren't repulsed by them now, I don't know how).
Yeah, I ate them all the time growing up. Same with bologna sandwiches, especially fried bologna sandwiches. 😋

The smell of peanut butter...shudder.
Rancid peanut butter is a truly godawful smell. My brother had a container about the size of a gallon of paint, full of peanut oil, that tipped over in the cab of his fully-loaded living-room-on-wheels pickup truck.

The smell...gagging isn't even close. You could smell it outside the truck with the windows rolled up. He eventually had to pull all the carpet and I think he even replaced the passenger seat, and he still couldn't totally eliminate it.

But I love all things peanut butter. As much as anything, I'll just eat it straight from the jar.

Yeah, maybe so, but you weren't one of the kids who ate 1500 of them (or maybe you did and somehow aren't repulsed by them now, I don't know how). I may have surpassed that number, because if I didn't want to eat liver or something equally vile my mother diabolically prepared for dinner, peanut butter and jelly or bologna sandwiches were my options, and I detest bologna..so...

But even if I didn't dislike them, handling the Peter Pan Peanut Butter recall for salmonella ruined peanut butter as a whole for me forever. I can't even eat PB cookies. I drove all over the state, which was quite pleasant, but I had to stand in the backroom of grocery stores, open each can, puncture the seal, and put the lids in one bag and the jars of peanut butter in another. The manufacturer did not want us to throw the jars as-is into dumpsters for fear homeless people might find unopened peanut butter and eat it, which would make them horribly ill or kill them. We are talking 1,000s of jars of peanut butter that had to be destroyed in this fasion. That was probably 10 years ago. The smell of peanut butter...shudder.

I still eat PB&J, but I buy pure peanut butter, just ground up peanuts -- chunky. I also use strawberry preserves instead of grape jelly.

CD

Yeah, I ate them all the time growing up. Same with bologna sandwiches, especially fried bologna sandwiches. 😋

Rancid peanut butter is a truly godawful smell. My brother had a container about the size of a gallon of paint, full of peanut oil, that tipped over in the cab of his fully-loaded living-room-on-wheels pickup truck.

The smell...gagging isn't even close. You could smell it outside the truck with the windows rolled up. He eventually had to pull all the carpet and I think he even replaced the passenger seat, and he still couldn't totally eliminate it.

But I love all things peanut butter. As much as anything, I'll just eat it straight from the jar.
It just had a little ole' salmonella in it, was fresh as can be and smelled fine...for the first couple of jars, LOL.

I will eat cashew butter (love it) and almond butter is pretty good. I used to love peanut brittle when I was a kid. I adore cashew butter.

Bologna wigs me out, as do hot dogs for the most part. The only way I can eat a hot dog is at a baseball game, and it has to be practically burnt with chili, onion, mustard and cheese on it. It might sound like a weird combination but it tastes good. And guaranteed to cause belching and other rumblings in my GI (in combination with the large draught beers). But ah well.

I still eat PB&J, but I buy pure peanut butter, just ground up peanuts -- chunky. I also use strawberry preserves instead of grape jelly.

CD
I never liked grape jelly, either. I love strawberry preserves.

If I am eating cashew butter I like it plain; no jelly, jam, or preserves to interfere with the scrumpdilliciousness of cashew butter.

I still eat them regularly.
I didn't know about them until I came to this forum. I must say its a great idea. Peanut butter has this strangely 'dry' texture and a savoury taste. Pairing it with a sharp/sweet jam (jelly) is great. I like apricot jam and peanut butter.

I also love peanut butter and marmite/vegemite.

As a teenager I've eaten some peanut butter and jelly toasts, just to know how it tastes like. I prefer crunchy peanut butter and my favorite jams were cherry, raspberry and strawberry. I haven't eaten one in a long time.
Stay healthy

Am reading and wheeew, cashew butter? Exists? How splendid! Love cashews...possibly will like the butter too! Never knew.
Thanks for the information!
You can make your own in a food processor. I have bought it at the health food store. I don't think I have ever seen it at a regular grocer. It's not cheap.

You can make your own in a food processor. I have bought it at the health food store. I don't think I have ever seen it at a regular grocer. It's not cheap.
Really? I will make my own...plan to get a blender...hope it works...I don't think I will have it more than once in two months or so..
Should be ok, we shall see😊

Really? I will make my own...plan to get a blender...hope it works...I don't think I will have it more than once in two months or so..
Should be ok, we shall see😊
Cashew Butter

Super simple, 3 ingredients. Use a really small food processor because otherwise you will have a time scraping down the sides or a large one or the insides of a blender. And I don't know if you have Amazon in Croatia? They sell it on Amazon in the U.S.

Nevermind, Google says you don't. I am sorry, I wish I knew where to tell you to source it.

I don't even remember the last time I had a PB&J. I'll have a peanut butter and banana sandwich from time to time, fresh bread, never grilled. Craig will get out the peanut butter and crackers for a snack from time to time and I'll have a few, but won't do that on my own. Do like peanut butter cookies, especially if you put a kiss on them, basically making a Reese's. Love satay sauce, been thinking about marinating and grilling some chicken and making the sauce.

Love almond and cashew butter. There are a couple of stores that have them freshly ground around and I usually grab some of 1 or the other when I happen to visit that store.

Back
Top Bottom