Pears

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:11 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Ok. What else can I did with pears please.

I'm already making pear chips, 5 full trays everyday but the fruit is falling off the tree faster than I can dehydrate them. The pear chips disappear in this family, we love them. But the pears are ripening fast and there's a considerable number more to come yet.

I've taken 6.5kg of windfall and stuff that came off in my hand just to touch, no twisting, no pulling, literally just by touch.

These are Comice pears. The conference pears are not yet ripe (same tree just dual graft).

So what else. I've still got 10 jars of pear butter from last season so that's off the agenda . how else can I preserve them?

That is a the problem I had with the peach tree in my old yard. I'd get about 300 peaches in less than three weeks. I had to give a bunch away.

CD

Already trying the give them away but because of the skin damage from the Boxing day hailstorm the skins look really bad on quite a few of them (aka most).

I've been thinking about juicing some. I found them freeze the fresh juice, not drinking much in the way of alcohol... but it seems a waste.

Already trying the give them away but because of the skin damage from the Boxing day hailstorm the skins look really bad on quite a few of them (aka most).

I've been thinking about juicing some. I found them freeze the fresh juice, not drinking much in the way of alcohol... but it seems a waste.

When I got down to the peaches that were so ripe you could barely touch them (too soft), the ex-wife and I invited all the neighbors over for peach margaritas.

Juicing the most ripe pears might work well. They should be at their peak sweetness then, and most juicy. Pear juice can be a little gritty, but you could filter it with some cheesecloth.

CD

Pear chutney.
A vegan version of Tarte Tatin.
Tortellini stuffed with pear and goat cheese (in your case, a vegan substitute)

I have also discovered pear cider vinegar which I can make from the peel & core of the pears I'm making chutney with and the core of the pears I'm dehydrating.

Yesterday was the first day without pears from our tree. However I still have 25 pears in the fridge and the tree still has 4 pears of this type on it (looks like Roche or Rocha type) and the other graft (Bosc) has yet to ripen.

Back
Top Bottom