Pencil crayons and animal products!

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:26 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have been entertaining myself with some adult colouring in books of recent which I, like many others, find therapeutic. I managed to pick up a wooden box case of my favourite pencils off eBay knowing that it had 1 pencil missing and another needing replacing. No problem I thought. And indeed I have been able to replace it for a sensible price especially when I only paid £30 for something that should cost over £150. But what got me was when I was confirming the colours name because that was how the settled was calling the pencil rather than its number which I was going by (the pencils are marked with both assuming you have it in the first place to look it up) was the fact that there is a colour chart with loads of different information including the fact that some of the pencils contain animal ingredients!

Here are the colour charts for the studio range.
I needed number 23 and 67... They should be imperial purple and ivory black.

In another range, the artists range which had 120 pencils in its range, I can at least change to another black which doesn't contain animal products, so clearly they don't need to buy had it ever occurred to you that those pencil crayons you of your kids munched the tops of may not actually contain what you thought?

Attachments

• studio pencil range.pdf
    194.3 KB · Views: 231
  • artists colour chart.pdf
    242.3 KB · Views: 237
Not as popular/smaller demand for the others. Cheaper mix used in the smaller set.

These look like they are similar to the Prisma Color colored pencils they sell here around the US. I absolutely love those colored pencils because they are blendable and you can do so much with them. They are highly expensive costing over a dollar per pencil, so if you want a whole set you would have to pay around $100. Coloring is good for the soul and I do not think we ever really outgrow it.

Not as popular/smaller demand for the others. Cheaper mix used in the smaller set.
It's hard to know really because the standard set includes the ivory black which had animal ingredients in it, yet most of the colours in the standard sets don't do I think it is probably more a pigment mix issue than anything else. Mars black is animal product free with the same light fastness, so my best guess is a pigment mix issue. Can't see what else it could be really. I'm assuming it's bees wax but it could be tallow. :meh:

Back
Top Bottom