Recipe Pennsylvania Dutch Classic Deviled Eggs

cookieee

Local time
5:43 AM
My daughter just called me. She is going to a Retro party and she asked me for some suggestions. After some searching around, we came up with this recipe. THEN she tells me the party is tonight. So, since it sounds real good to me, thought I would share it here with you all. Might be a good idea for Halloween. :giggle:

Pennsylvania Dutch Classic Deviled Eggs

1 10 oz. jar pickled beets
1 3/4 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB. whole allspice
1 stick cinnamon, halved
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
3 TB. mayonnaise
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt

1. Drain beets, reserving juice. Set beets aside for another use. In medium saucepan, combine reserved beet juice, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Arrange eggs in 1 qt. jar or container with tight-fitting lid. Pour hot mixture over eggs. Cover tightly. Allow to cool at room temperature 1 hour. Refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 24 hours.
2. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and set whites aside. Mash yolks with fork. Blend in remaining ingredients. Refill whites, using 1 heaping TB. yolk mixture for each egg half. Makes 6 appetizer or 3 main-dish servings.

I do similar but called curried eggs, yolk mixed with butter Mayo, (home made) curry powder. If we have friends or family around, they don't last long. Yours seems like a lot of work?

Russ

This is a little bit more work than I usually do. I can't believe the coincidence. Just the other day I put a jar of pickled beets on the shopping list. I was getting the craving for what I have done in the past. I would save the juice after we ate the beets and then I would stick a few hard-boiled eggs in the jar for a few days. The eggs would turn a beautiful purple and have a delicious taste to them. Then I would just eat the eggs. Now I am curious to try the eggs this way.

I pipe the filling on, it looks cool. I watched devilled eggs the other night on a cooking programme. A murican programme I think?? Diners n dives??

Russ

This is a little bit more work than I usually do. I can't believe the coincidence. Just the other day I put a jar of pickled beets on the shopping list. I was getting the craving for what I have done in the past. I would save the juice after we ate the beets and then I would stick a few hard-boiled eggs in the jar for a few days. The eggs would turn a beautiful purple and have a delicious taste to them. Then I would just eat the eggs. Now I am curious to try the eggs this way.

You know there's nothing about coincidence?

Russ

My mom is from near Pennsylvania Dutch country, and she pickled boiled eggs in beet juice, too. I don't recall her ever using them for deviled eggs.

CD

I've done blue, yellow, red (beetroot) & dark brown devilled eggs. And 'two tone'.... sorry no photos of the 'two tone' devilled but here they are before I devilled them:

33931 33932

My mom is from near Pennsylvania Dutch country, and she pickled boiled eggs in beet juice, too. I don't recall her ever using them for deviled eggs.

CD
I think my mom had some Penn. Dutch in her. I was born in Penn. Maybe that is why I like purple eggs. lol

My daughter sent me an e-mail with a picture of the eggs she made and took to the party. I tried to copy and paste the picture with no luck. She made the eggs look like tiny pumpkins. So cute. Sorry 😢

Back
Top Bottom