Recipe Pepper and French Bean Jalfrezi (Paneer Jalfrezi)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
12:19 AM
Pepper and French Bean Jalfrezi.jpg

Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

3 tbsp light vegetable oil
1½ tsp cumin seeds
25 g ginger, finely chopped
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 fresh whole red chilli, sliced lengthways and crushed
1 fresh whole green chilli, chopped
2 peppers, cut into strips
15 French beans, topped and tail and cut into 3 pieces each
1 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
1/2-1 teaspoon chilli powder
200 g paneer, cut into cubes
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan on a medium heat, and add the cumin seeds and 15 g of the ginger. Fry for about 30 seconds, until the cumin seeds are aromatic.
2. Add the onions and the chillies, and fry for about 10 minutes until the onions are
translucent and starting to soften.
3. Add the peppers, beans, turmeric, salt, and chilli powder, and fry for another 5 minutes.
4. Lower the heat, add the paneer to the pan, and stir gently for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomato and cook gently for 4-5 minutes, then add the vinegar, the rest of the cumin seeds, and the garam masala. Turn off the heat, stir, and leave, covered, for about 5 minutes.
6. Scatter the remaining ginger over the food, and serve with rice and flat breads.

I love the word Jalfreze - it always makes me feel hungry. Is that paneer tucked in there?
Of course it's paneer! Home-made as well :okay: Funnily enough, when my Rick Stein cookery book came, there is an almost identical recipe in there too, but mine was a conglomeration of several recipes I had already investigated some time ago. It is of course possible that somewhere in the back of my mind lurked his recipe from one of his TV programmes.

This is a good recipe for vegans without the paneer. My dear partner is vegan so I am always on the look out for recipes. I think I could use tofu instead of paneer? Heh!

Back
Top Bottom