Pepper Jack Cheese

kgord

Veteran
Local time
11:16 AM
I want to make a recipie that calls for a cup of pepperjack cheese. I don/t have any, but I do have swiss and mozzarella...Can I use that with salsa or something?

Had to look this up as I didn't know pepperjack cheese. I'd say yes, of course you could substitute the cheese for a different one. Mozzarella will be more goo-ey and stringy (no bad thing depending on the recipe). But best to use finely chopped chillies rather than salsa, I would think, because that would be closer to the original pepperjack. Salsa would introduce tomatoes and more moisture. But that could work, depending on the recipe. So..... what is the recipe?!

Pepperjack cheese has a spicy taste to it. I would think you could substitute the other cheese just add something spicy to the sauce if you want the spice in the sauce like some red peppers or additional black pepper.

The other ladies had a great idea. Depending on the spice you require add chillies or pepper to achieve the required taste.

Yes I was going to suggest adding some crushed red pepper and normal black pepper with mozzarella. I think Swiss has a taste that's a little more different from Pepperjack - if it was me personally I'd stick with the Mozzarella out of the two choices.

Green chilies are always a favorite of mine, and I always have a few kinds of red pepper on hand. If you have the crushed red peppers that are customarily put on top of pizza, you could probably add some of those in with the cheese. I agree that the salsa would probably be too liquid, unless it's the kind of dish where that wouldn't make a difference.

I ended up using a soft cheese, with salsa in it. I did not have any chilies I could put in. I think the main objective of the dish was to give it some heat, so I think that accomplished the overall effect. I put some some red peppers crushed red pepper on the top as well, as some pickled sliced jalapenos. I think they both gave the dish some heat. Thanks, all for your suggestions.

I ended up using a soft cheese, with salsa in it. I did not have any chilies I could put in. I think the main objective of the dish was to give it some heat, so I think that accomplished the overall effect. I put some some red peppers crushed red pepper on the top as well, as some pickled sliced jalapenos. I think they both gave the dish some heat. Thanks, all for your suggestions.
This is so funny. :D None of us have any idea what the dish is which you cooked! Please put us out of our misery...

For those wondering exactly what the cheese is, even if we don't know what the dish is, the cheese can be found here. www.cheese.com/pepper-jack/

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack is a derivative of Monterey Jack, the original “American” cheese invented by Mexican Franciscan friars of Monterey, California. As the name suggests, the cheese is flavoured with sweet peppers, rosemary, habañero chilies and garlic and spicy jalapeños for an extra kick.

This semi-soft, open textured cheese is spicy to taste yet leaves a delicate and buttery taste in the mouth. It is often eaten with quesadillas, crackers or on hamburgers. Pepper jack can also go well with jalapeno peppers, melons, grapes, pickled vegetables, and olives.

I guess there should be no any issue, if you go with any of the cheese options you've got (had to look it up, as I was not sure). Overall, cooking peppers with cheese is a very exotic and sharp dish, and may be quite chilly for thos, who are not used to Italian or Mexican cuisine. I do not think that using salsa is a good idea, as it will bring more moisture, plus, that typical tomato taste, that has nothing to do with the original pepperjack.
35573561759eca7618.jpg

Back
Top Bottom