Pepper on pepper?

Arctodus

Local time
3:15 PM
Hi.
I had the urge to bake some jalapeño halves with bacon and cheese. As I was going through the process in my head I thought "salt and... pepper?"
What about that? Since it's a food that is already a pepper, should I add black pepper or leave that out entirely?

Black/white/green pepper and jalapeño peppers are from two entirely different families. Black pepper is a flowering vine and is spice, whereas the jalapeño is a fruit which belongs to the capsicum family. I´d always add salt, and probably pepper because I love the flavour!

I'm not crazy about the mixture of black pepper and chili peppers. I've done it, but they seem to clash, to me.

CD

Okay. I joined the forum mostly because of this question. It's a thought I've run into several times before and never known the answer. Like with breakfast stuff that has peppers in it.
Thanks.

Okay. I joined the forum mostly because of this question. It's a thought I've run into several times before and never known the answer. Like with breakfast stuff that has peppers in it.
Thanks.
Well, the real answer is try it and see how it goes, to your taste, of course.

Breakfast…if I’m putting peppers in scrambled eggs, those will get a twist of black pepper. The idea of scrambled eggs without freshly ground black pepper in there is just wrong, AFAIC. 🤷🏻

Yeah... I just had the thought that maybe leaving the black pepper off would make room for some other spice. Cinnamon or something, but that sounds like it would be terrible. Lol.

Cinnamon or something, but that sounds like it would be terrible. Lol.
I would agree, that would be a big :headshake: , but shortly after I post this, someone’s going to pop up with a delicious example of cinnamon and hot peppers (my money’s on karadekoolaid).

Thanks.

No reason at all you can't use black pepper and chilli peppers (such as jalapenos) in the same dish. As karadekoolaid says above the two types of peppers are unrelated and from different plants.

I make a lot of Indian curries and many of them use both black pepper and chilli peppers.

Hmm...

What about hot sauce? If I put Louisiana hot sauce on scrambled eggs is it wrong to then also add black pepper?

Lots of questions...

Hmm...

What about hot sauce? If I put Louisiana hot sauce on scrambled eggs is it wrong to then also add black pepper?

Lots of questions...
That wouldn’t stop me. Scrambled eggs always need black pepper, and since I add that before they hit the pan, I’m not even thinking about it when it comes time to sprinkle on a little hot sauce later.

Hmm...

Lots of questions...

No, its not wrong. At the end of the day its up to you as the 'chef'. Taste and taste again and if you like it then its fine! I've certainly added hot sauce and black pepper to eggs.

Back
Top Bottom