Recipe Peppermint Hot Chocolate

Rhodolite

Veteran
Local time
4:33 AM
I like making my own hot chocolate from scratch since I have more control, it's a little simple and a common recipe but I like added my own twist to it. This recipe makes about 4 mugs.

1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (baking chocolate powder)
1/2 cup of sugar (You can do 3/4 cup if you want a sweeter variety, I found that 1/2 a cup is more than enough.)
1 pinch of salt
1/3 cup of boiling water
3 1/2 cups of milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
1/2 cup of half and half cream
1 can of whipped cream
Crushed peppermint candy and or crushed chocolate

Mix the cocoa, sugar, salt and boiling water together in a saucepan and bring it to a slow simmer and stir for a bit until it becomes a smooth syrup. Make sure that you're keeping an eye on it because it will burn.

Add in the milk and stir, allow the mixture to heat up but don't let it come to a boil.

After it's mixed and heated, remove it from the heat and add the vanilla and peppermint extracts and mix.

Divide the mixture up into mugs, usually about half full, then add half and half cream to fill the other half of the mug.

Add some whip cream at the top and sprinkle crushed peppermint candy or crushed chocolate...or both!

Sounds delicious! I love hot chocolate and like to experiment with different flavorings. It's always nicer made from scratch too!

I'm dying here.That sounds like a bit of heaven. I'll have to quarter the recipe, though, because I'm the only hot chocolate drinker in the house and my waistline can't take four cups of this. Very rich, I would think.

Can someone please tell me (yeah, I know, yet again) what half and half cream is please? It's not something I'm familiar with.
Half milk and half cream. Can't be whipped because of it's lower than cream fat content, but delicious splashed in coffees (if you drink them, I don't) and teas. Very well suited to hot chocolate, I would imagine. Right down my alley, this hot chocolate recipe, but ever so fattening.

I've officially tried this recipe. I saw it the first time I was on the forums back when I was still unregistered and lurking a bit. It's very awesome. In fact, I wish I had made more - I only got a little bit, my brother and his husband got the rest of it. Smash hit, thought. +Like :D

Back
Top Bottom