Perfect Sunny Side Up Eggs by Accident

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
8:57 AM
I recently thought my mini fridge might not be working right, because I didn't hear the motor running for some time. So I turned down the temperature to test it out.

I keep my eggs in the mini-fridge and went I went to do eggs and bacon this morning, I discovered the eggs froze. It seemed impossible to crack the shells and remove them, until I ran them briefly under the tap water in the sink. And then, they came out of the shells, perfectly frozen.

So what the heck, I oiled the fry pan and just placed the frozen eggs in and on medium heat, fried them in a covered pan. The melted and produced perfect sunny side up eggs. :happy::chef:

Last edited:
I recently though my mini fridge might not be working right, because I didn't hear the motor running for some time. So I turned down the temperature to test it out.

I keep my eggs in the mini-fridge and went I went to do eggs and bacon this morning, I discovered the eggs froze. It seemed impossible to crack the shells and remove them, until I ran them briefly under the tap water in the sink. And then, they came out of the shells, perfectly frozen.

So what the heck, I oiled the fry pan and just placed the frozen eggs in and on medium heat, fried them in a covered pan. The melted and produced perfect sunny side up eggs. :happy::chef:
I keep my eggs on the bench in a wooden shape that holds about 18 eggs.

Russ

I have accidentally frozen eggs in a shell before but found it made the yolk become unpleasantly thick and coagulated. Here is advice from the USDA:

Shell eggs should not be frozen. If an egg accidentally freezes and the shell cracked during freezing, discard the egg. However, if the egg did not crack, keep it frozen until needed; then thaw it in the refrigerator. It can be hard cooked successfully but other uses may be limited because freezing causes the yolk to become thick and syrupy so it will not flow like an unfrozen yolk or blend very well with the egg white or other ingredients

AskUSDA

I have accidentally frozen eggs in a shell before but found it made the yolk become unpleasantly thick and coagulated. Here is advice from the USDA:

AskUSDA

I didn't notice any thickening of the yokes and they did run as expected.

I have had frozen eggs by accident - or maybe it wasn't accidental, just not my checking my hens soon enough on a really frigid day in winter. If they are cracked but not dirty, I keep them. Yes, the yolk does weird things, but I will sometimes add one of those to two un-frozen eggs and make an omelet anyway. They're not bad for you, but just not as useful.

Back
Top Bottom