Recipe Peruvian Recipes!

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
8:49 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
One country that interests me for their food is Peru - mainly since I've never eaten anything Peruvian but I've had people tell me the food there is good!

One recipe that I want to try and make this month is Lomo Saltado, which is basically marinated steak, veggies, and fried potatoes. Sounds good to me!

Here's a recipe:

Lomo Saltado

INGREDIENTS

Marinade for the beef:​
Stir Fry:​
Directions
  1. Make a paste by combining the garlic & salt. Whisk together the garlic paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, canola oil, cumin, & ground black pepper.​
  2. Place the steak in one bowl & the onions in another. Divide the marinade between the 2 bowls & let set in the refrigerator for at least an hour.​
  3. Pour a small amount of oil in a wok & turn on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the steak with marinade & cook until brown. Add the tomato & simmer for a few minutes.​
  4. Add the jalapeño, cilantro, & onions with marinade to the wok, slowly stirring until well blended. Simmer for 5 more minutes.​
  5. As the ingredients are cooking in the wok, sprinkle the potatoes with paprika & fry in a separate pan. Once done add to the other ingredients.​
  6. Serve with a dish of white rice.​
Lomo-saltado-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also -- if anyone knows any other good Peruvian recipes I'd love you to share them with me! I like broadening my cooking horizons! I'll continue to add to the thread during the month with things I want to try and make!

Did you know they they eat guinea pigs in Peru? They're considered a delicacy there. The above recipe looks great! I would enjoy something like that but I think I will pass on the guinea pig.

Attachments

• cuy-asado-guinea-pig-e1329237104139.jpg
    cuy-asado-guinea-pig-e1329237104139.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 21,580
That recipe looks good. It looks like faijitas with a twist. Yes, if the twist is guinea pigs, I hink I will defintely pass on that one. I see the above recipe calls for beef, that is OK with me. I don't think I have ever had Peruvian food either, but I have had a good deal of hispanic food, but mostly Mexican.

Reactions: L_B
Did you know they they eat guinea pigs in Peru? They're considered a delicacy there. The above recipe looks great! I would enjoy something like that but I think I will pass on the guinea pig.

Oh my gosh! No! I had no clue about that! I had a pet guinea pig as a kid so this is kind of scary to me...I too will have to pass on the guinea pig no matter how much of a delicacy it is regarded as!!

Reactions: L_B
I ate guinea pig in Peru. It appeared to have been spatch-cocked and then deep fried. A scrawny beast and hardly any meat on it.

Peru's most iconic dish is surely ceviche. The best one I had was served with sea urchin on top. Yum!

I ate guinea pig in Peru. It appeared to have been spatch-cocked and then deep fried. A scrawny beast and hardly any meat on it.

Peru's most iconic dish is surely ceviche. The best one I had was served with sea urchin on top. Yum!
Ceviche indeed, is a signature dish of Peru. And I am still waiting to taste sea urchin. A rare find here despite the fact its prevalent in our seas.

Back
Top Bottom