Pet Peeves

mjd

Veteran
Local time
11:03 AM
Morning Glory inspired this discussion when she mentioned that she doesn't like eating on tray tables in front of the tv.

I absolutely cannot stand it when people...​
Review recipes based on a gazillion changes they made. I don't mind a small tweak here and there but when you are omitting and adding ingredients and spices it's NOT the same recipe and shouldn't be rated and reviewed as such.​
Eat with their mouth open and/or smack their food. I know it's common in some cultures as a sign that the meal is tasty, but that's not true here in the US.​
Scrap their utensils across their teeth. My ex does this. He puts food on his fork, puts it in his mouth and slides the fork out which makes a scraping noise. Argh!!​

What are your pet peeves in the kitchen?

Charliebrown-1-.jpg

My hatereds in the kitchen:

Washing up, doing the dishes, organizing the fridge (for some reason I always find a blue and rotten lemon and piece of cucumber turned into slime -> total clean up and annoyance). Going through opened jam, sauce and caper jars, carob powder cans and nonpareils from 1998. I'm constantly annoyed with myself about not multitasking like the participants of Master Chef (finals). I hate the fact that I'm scatterbrained and sloppy and sometimes forget that I'm cooking veggies or eggs and awake in a burning smell.

I don't like people eating with their mouth open or smacking either but I try to focus on the food rather than assessing fellow eaters. I seldom succeed in that virtuous endeavour, though. Picking teeth with fingers or toothpicks with the mouth wide open is rather appalling - and so is tapping the mobile phone constantly or taking calls in a restaurant. Some people have the habit of scraping the plate with the knife. "Screeeeeck" <goose bumps>.

I don't particularly like the sight of someone laying elbows on the table while dining or keeping the fork inside the fist and using it like a spoon. What I hate most is seeing an adult turning up his/her nose articulately at a meal. If you don't like it, leave it be - no need to make a circus. On the other hand, table manners aren't the most important aspect of life. They run in the family and are easy to learn if one haves a craving for decency, bourgeois manners - or (God preserve me from those kind of people) aristocratic appearance. I love looking at formal dinners in e.g. Downton Abbey but I'd rather have my own meals downstairs. Live and let live...

My hatereds in the kitchen:

Washing up, doing the dishes, organizing the fridge (for some reason I always find a blue and rotten lemon and piece of cucumber turned into slime -> total clean up and annoyance). Going through opened jam, sauce and caper jars, carob powder cans and nonpareils from 1998. I'm constantly annoyed with myself about not multitasking like the participants of Master Chef (finals). I hate the fact that I'm scatterbrained and sloppy and sometimes forget that I'm cooking veggies or eggs and awake in a burning smell.

I don't like people eating with their mouth open or smacking either but I try to focus on the food rather than assessing fellow eaters. I seldom succeed in that virtuous endeavour, though. Picking teeth with fingers or toothpicks with the mouth wide open is rather appalling - and so is tapping the mobile phone constantly or taking calls in a restaurant. Some people have the habit of scraping the plate with the knife. "Screeeeeck" <goose bumps>.

I don't particularly like the sight of someone laying elbows on the table while dining or keeping the fork inside the fist and using it like a spoon. What I hate most is seeing an adult turning up his/her nose articulately at a meal. If you don't like it, leave it be - no need to make a circus. On the other hand, table manners aren't the most important aspect of life. They run in the family and are easy to learn if one haves a craving for decency, bourgeois manners - or (God preserve me from those kind of people) aristocratic appearance. I love looking at formal dinners in e.g. Downton Abbey but I'd rather have my own meals downstairs. Live and let live...

I don't know anyone on the planet that likes purging the fridge. It's just one of those things that needs to be done. I started a list on the fridge on what's in there because I tend to forget and that's when things start rotting. I'm getting better at it.

I don't want to come off as a snob as I certainly don't analyze and critique everyone eating around me. It's more that it's something I notice and later think "that was annoying" like one would think of sock that is falling down in one's shoe. LOL

Oh, you brought up another one of my pet peeves! I hate when people are texting and looking at their phone while dining. I will not stay for the meal if that happens. It's not like the person is "in the present moment" with the meal or me so why bother? Unless you are a doctor, on call, there is no reason to ignore your fellow diners. I find it rude.

Oh! Another one. My ex cannot say anything negative about a dish. The only way I would know that he didn't care for something is if he tried to hide it on his plate. Fine, you don't like it. It's okay not to like something. I told him that over and over, to no avail.

I agree with you on the "making a circus" out of things. I recall an incident when I was in high school in which we went to a restaurant. My father didn't want to be there (I guess my mother dragged him there) and he complained about EVERYTHING. He wanted a piece of toast to eat with his soup and was upset it had cheese on it. He finally blurted out "Is there anything in this place that is not covered in cheese?!" I felt so uncomfortable and sad for the waitress. She didn't deserve that. I try to be aware of other people's feelings and not step on toes. I understand that he may have been agitated but he didn't have to handle it that way.

And, I do try to live and let live. I don't particularly care how other people choose to live their lives or eat their food. I mostly started the thread for all of us to get a good laugh on the little things that gnaw at us but are not life shattering. ;-)

People (especially chefs) who pronounce the word turmeric as 'toomeric', 'choomeric' or tyoo -meric.
Cooks (not normally chefs) who use the word 'marinade' when they mean 'marinate'.

How do you pronounce turmeric?

My pronuciation pet peeve is when people pronounce taco as "tack-oh." It's "tah-ko." Also, "LL" in Spanish is pronounced like a "y." So, Paella is pronounced "pie-ay-ah."

CD

Back
Top Bottom