Petition to stop casseroles from masquerading as pies attracts thousands of signatures

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:37 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK, you do have to wonder sometimes but what is a pie and when does something stop being a pie!

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/petition-to-stop-casseroles-from-masquerading-as-pies-attracts-thousands-of-signatures-9895160.html

Apparently,
A pie is defined by the OED as "A baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry".
and this partition (sorry you need to be British to sign it) is trying to prevent companies from describing a dish as a pie if it only has a pastry lid!
Http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/64629

Makes you wonder really doesn't it! :stop:

I'm going to agree with this, I get so disappointed when I have a pie in a pub or a restaurant and there is no pastry except on top. It's all wrong in my book and a pie should be able to be served as a slice by itself. When I learned to make pies, the base was always the most important part!

I'm going to agree with this, I get so disappointed when I have a pie in a pub or a restaurant and there is no pastry except on top. It's all wrong in my book and a pie should be able to be served as a slice by itself. When I learned to make pies, the base was always the most important part!
sounds like you need to add your signature to the petition!
But I fully understand what you mean. a pie should be able to stand alone out of the pot and be held together with pastry without the contents spreading across the plate!

I wish I could sign. A pie has a crust on the bottom at least, that is what makes it a pie. I prefer to have 2 crusts on my pies because I enjoy the pastry so much. To me a casserole is made with noodles or potatoes and that is what defines it as such.

I am not a big pastry fan so on the odd occasion we buy 1 or when TVC makes 1 I much prefer just a top crust otherwise they can be heavy. Nothing against the full pastry case I just prefer a pastry top.

Back
Top Bottom