Philippine delights for dessert - Leche Flan

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
1:15 PM
The first in the list is leche flan. It is like a mousse but harder. Made from milk, eggs, sugar and butter, the leche flan is a nice dessert that especially if the meal is seafood. It is quite expensive because it is not that easy to cook. Instead of cooking, I just buy it from known pastry shops. That would save me the effort.

I think its virtually the same as Creme Caramel - one of the few desserts I actually like. Not sure why it should be expensive though, as the ingredients are basic. And difficult to cook?

Recipe for the dish pleas,and a brief description of how to make it,sounds a bit like our baked egg tart,which we grate nutmeg on,isn't leche Spanish for milk?

Having googled it now, it seems that it includes condensed milk. Leche does mean milk in Spanish. The pictures look like creme caramel.

I don't have a photo of leche flan right now but here is the recipe.

Ingredients: 3 eggs, 1 can of condensed milk, 1 cup of sugar, vanilla or lemon drops for flavoring, butter

Procedure: Mix the egg yolk with the condensed milk. Sorry, I forgot to include a can of evaporated milk. So there are 2 cans - 1 evaporated and 1 condensed. Mix those milk and the egg yolk together with the half cup of sugar.... keep the other half for later. After mixing the ingredients, get the pie pan and wipe butter on all sides including the bottom before putting in the mixture of milk and eggs. Put in a steamer and let it steam for 30 minutes.

While steaming, get the half cup of sugar and make a caramel - put some water in a skillet and melt the sugar under low fire. Stir until the liquid become sticky but not very sticky. Upon taking the pie pan out of the steamer, pour the caramel.

PS. I would post pictures once I find it in my archive.

I love flan. Different countries make is slightly differently, as some prefer it sweeter. It's basically a caramel custard, and is yummy. I haven't made it in a while, but will have to make it soon, now that I'm craving it from reading @Corzhens recipe. The recipe I used to use was from a Mexican friend, and it called for 8 eggs. A former co-worker from the Dominican Republic made hers very sweet, so it's basically all to taste.

To me the Flan is like a custard and I love it. A very rich dessert.

Back
Top Bottom