Review Philips HR1757 Blender and Spice Grinder (Mill)

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:44 PM
Philips HR1757 Blender and Spice Grinder (Mill)

I’ve had this particular appliance for over ten years now (replacing the previous Philips unit which someone in the family washed and left the grinder blades to rust). Other than my woks and frying pans it is the most important and useful kitchen appliance that I have.

I use it for grinding whole spices (not coffee - I drink so little coffee these days) regularly and use the blender for chopping tomatoes, pureeing ginger and/or garlic, liquidising curry sauces, etc., and my wife uses the blender with the filter insert (not shown) for preparing fruit and vegetable drinks and other weird stuff.

It cost Bht 1,200.00 (US$ 35.00) and as far as I know is still available on the shelves today.

A spice grinder is a good thing. I have a good one (I'll review it) - but not the combo with a liquidiser. I just use a stick blender which I find more versatile if I want to liquidise, as it can be used directly in the pan.

A spice grinder is a good thing. I have a good one (I'll review it) - but not the combo with a liquidiser. I just use a stick blender which I find more versatile if I want to liquidise, as it can be used directly in the pan.

As you know I have recently bought a "stick blender" (reviewed here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/philips-hr1623-hand-blender.9467/ ) but could it deal with my "curry paste" better than my jug blender?

curry base s.jpg

That would be a no, then. What did you put the curry paste ingredients into when using the stick blender? Did it come with a 'beaker'. I will have to try using my stick blender for paste.

I haven't tried the stick with that (I'm not sure where the 'beaker' is). That lot goes into the jug blender with a little water until I'm happy with it then I add the chopped tomatoes and blitz it again. Then put it all back into the wok.

I've been doing exactly the same for 30 odd years. Not much chance of me changing now.

Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you were posting a photo of the paste after using the stick blender.

That would have been a very sad recommendation for the stick blender.

I believe that it's "horses for courses". It's only that I haven't found many applications up to now (given my style of cooking) for the stick blender to come into it's own. The chopper attachment, however, I am really impressed with (as you may have gathered).

That would have been a very sad recommendation for the stick blender.

I believe that it's "horses for courses". It's only that I haven't found many applications up to now (given my style of cooking) for the stick blender to come into it's own. The chopper attachment, however, I am really impressed with (as you may have gathered).

I use the stick blender when I make curry - but tend to make each curry from scratch: chopped onions sauteed or caramelised, garlic and ginger grated in then dry roast ground spices added plus tomatoes - then I use the stick blender to produce a velvety smooth sauce. I don't always do this. Sometimes I leave the sauce 'textured'.

Last edited:
I use the sick blender when I make curry - but tend to make each curry from scratch: chopped onions sauteed or caramelised, garlic and ginger grated in then dry roast ground spices added plus tomatoes - then I use the stick blender to produce a velvety smooth sauce. I don't always do this. Sometimes I leave the sauce 'textured'.
Wouldn't a well blender work better? I don't think I would want an ill blender around my food. Either that or you might have dropped your t.

Back
Top Bottom