Philly cheesesteak sliders

bryan123

Local time
8:09 AM
Hi,

Does anyone else make cheesesteak sliders with King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread rolls?

I use sliced London Broil and sharp cheddar from the deli. Hummus instead of mayonnaise because it's healthier.

Any other ideas for this?

Thanks

Ha ha... to English ears your post is almost indecipherable. I happen to know what sliders are (having learned this from our American members) though its not a term used here. I'm not sure what cheesesteak is. I'd never heard of King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread rolls but have googled and discovered they are made with pineapple juice! I'd never heard of London Broil either.

Hummus I do know!

How sweet tasting are the King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread rolls?

I personally would not use King's Hawaiian rolls for Philly Cheesesteak. Too sweet. You want a crusty roll. And, London Broil would not be my choice, either. Ribeye is the right steak. The cheeses offered are American, Provolone, or Chez Whiz. Hummus? A Philly cheesesteak doesn't have mayonnaise, either.

Not saying it is not a good sandwich. If you like it, it was good. But it is a real stretch to call it a Philly Cheesesteak. Just call it a steak, cheese and hummus slider.

MorningGlory, a cheesesteak is short for a Philadelphia (Philly) Cheesesteak. It is a Philadelphia institution.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Z1VjyTQck

CD

Last edited:
I make cheesesteaks all the time (and in Philly, they're just called steak sandwiches), though I put them on a proper roll, not on King's Hawaiian bread. If I wanted sliders, I'd put them on a proper roll and then cut them to size.

Hummus instead of mayonnaise? Mayonnaise shouldn't be anywhere near a cheesesteak, traditionally, but that's ok, you're the one eating it. Hummus is right out. :)

Also, a "proper" cheesesteak (putting that in quotes) uses Cheez Whiz, a fake cheese sauce, though it's become commonplace for many establishments (especially those not in the Delaware Valley) to upgrade to real cheese. And, like a lot of regional specialties, there's a language to ordering one.

Cheesesteak - Wikipedia
How to order a cheesesteak in Philly like a local - Metro Philadelphia

Philly, like London, is an adopted home-away-from-home city for us. We've been there more times than I can count, and used to live just outside the Greater Philadelphia Area. As any local knows, Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists. You want to eat like a local, go to Steve's.

Now I want a cheesesteak.

I make cheesesteaks all the time (and in Philly, they're just called steak sandwiches), though I put them on a proper roll, not on King's Hawaiian bread. If I wanted sliders, I'd put them on a proper roll and then cut them to size.

Hummus instead of mayonnaise? Mayonnaise shouldn't be anywhere near a cheesesteak, traditionally, but that's ok, you're the one eating it. Hummus is right out. :)

Also, a "proper" cheesesteak (putting that in quotes) uses Cheez Whiz, a fake cheese sauce, though it's become commonplace for many establishments (especially those not in the Delaware Valley) to upgrade to real cheese. And, like a lot of regional specialties, there's a language to ordering one.

Cheesesteak - Wikipedia
How to order a cheesesteak in Philly like a local - Metro Philadelphia

Philly, like London, is an adopted home-away-from-home city for us. We've been there more times than I can count, and used to live just outside the Greater Philadelphia Area. As any local knows, Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists. You want to eat like a local, go to Steve's.

Now I want a cheesesteak.

Cheese Whiz is NOT the "proper" cheese. It is one option. I was born in the burbs of Philly, and my dad worked in South Philly (Italian), and we always had ours with provolone. :headshake::D

CD

BTW bryan123 , please don't think we are picking on you. I know you are wanting to become a better cook -- as are all of us. Philly Cheesesteaks just happen to be something that isn't open to a lot of changes.

If you want to do sliders, get some crusty dinner rolls. Use a better cut of beef, and one of the aforementioned cheeses. In Philly, you can order your CS "with" (pronounced "wit"). That ads grilled onions to your cheesesteak.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheese Whiz is NOT the "proper" cheese. It is one option. I was born in the burbs of Philly, and my dad worked in South Philly (Italian), and we always had ours with provolone. :headshake::D

CD
Well, if you want to get technical about it, the Philly steak sandwiches that evolved into cheesesteaks didn't have...wait for it...cheese.

Cheesesteaks have gone through a lot of iterations, but whiz will always be associated with them as the "proper" way to have a cheesesteak, being overwhelmingly the most popular choice. Note again that I put proper in quotes, because I don't buy into proper/authentic/traditional when it comes actually eating something (that's why Bryan gets my full support to put hummus on his sweet bread slider, even if I do have a confused look on my face as I type this. :laugh: - I just mention the whiz in a more historical/cultural context:

Whiz on a cheesesteak: Hit or myth?

We had a couple of work visitors onsite from Philly, when we lived in Minnesota, and we took them out somewhere, I can't even remember where, for "authentic" Philly cheesesteaks, and the cheese choices were Cheddar (!), Provolone, Swiss, and Mozzarella (I think).

They got burgers. :laugh:

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the Philly steak sandwiches that evolved into cheesesteaks didn't have...wait for it...cheese.

Cheesesteaks have gone through a lot of iterations, but whiz will always be associated with them as the "proper" way to have a cheesesteak, being overwhelmingly the most popular choice. Note again that I put proper in quotes, because I don't buy into proper/authentic/traditional when it comes actually eating something (that's why Bryan gets my full support to put hummus on his sweet bread slider, even if I do have a confused look on my face as I type this. :laugh: - I just mention the whiz in a more historical/cultural context:

Whiz on a cheesesteak: Hit or myth?

We had a couple of work visitors onsite from Philly, when we lived in Minnesota, and we took them out somewhere, I can't even remember where, for "authentic" Philly cheesesteaks, and the cheese choices were Cheddar (!), Provolone, Swiss, and Mozzarella (I think).

They got burgers. :laugh:

Well, we disagree on that. But, I can tell you there is no way you could pay me to eat a Philly cheesesteak with Cheese Whiz on it.

Here's one with Cheese Whiz and Ketchup. That would make me lose my appetite in 2-seconds or less.

I make lots of sliders, just not cheese steak. There is a locally owned chain called Jon Smith's that makes a marinated steak sandwich. I prefer the original that has grilled onions and white cheese. It isn't and they don't claim it is, a Philly cheese steak. Cheese Wiz is something to feed the reef fish at tourist trap dive locations and shouldn't even be associated with cheese.

Well, we disagree on that. But, I can tell you there is no way you could pay me to eat a Philly cheesesteak with Cheese Whiz on it.

Here's one with Cheese Whiz and Ketchup. That would make me lose my appetite in 2-seconds or less.
As I'm all about building bridges and not walls, I'll completely agree with you on that ketchup monstrosity. The whiz isn't even an issue at that point! :laugh:

I still don't really understand. Is it a steak with Philly cheese on top?

No. it is a hoagie roll (similar to a baguette but not as hard), with ribeye steak, grilled on a "flat-top," with cheese on top. It can be American cheese, Provolone, or Chez Wiz. Grilled onions are optional (not to me, I always get them).

They are amazing!

CD

Back
Top Bottom