Recipe Pickle Soup

Herbaceous

Local time
6:02 AM
This is my copycat recipe for my mother-in-law’s dill pickle soup. It’s adapted from Noble Pig, and lucky enough, came out pretty close to MIL’s on the first try!

Pickle Soup

5-1/2 cups chicken or veggie stock
1-3/4 cups potatoes (preferably russet), peeled & diced
2 cups carrots, peeled & diced
1/4 cup butter
1 cup diced dill pickles (about 3 large)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 cups pickle juice
1-1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrot, and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Add pickles.
In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, flour, and water to make a paste. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture, 2 tbsp at a time, into soup (some little balls of flour might form at first, but just keep whisking and don’t worry. Also, some of your potatoes might break up, but that’s also OK). Add pickle juice, old bay, pepper, and cayenne. Cook 5 more minutes and serve.

This is my copycat recipe for my mother-in-law’s dill pickle soup. It’s adapted from Noble Pig, and lucky enough, came out pretty close to MIL’s on the first try!

Pickle Soup

5-1/2 cups chicken or veggie stock
1-3/4 cups potatoes (preferably russet), peeled & diced
2 cups carrots, peeled & diced
1/4 cup butter
1 cup diced dill pickles (about 3 large)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 cups pickle juice
1-1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrot, and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Add pickles.
In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, flour, and water to make a paste. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture, 2 tbsp at a time, into soup (some little balls of flour might form at first, but just keep whisking and don’t worry. Also, some of your potatoes might break up, but that’s also OK). Add pickle juice, old bay, pepper, and cayenne. Cook 5 more minutes and serve.
Reading I'm thinking wtf? But I would try it and prolly love it. I pickle gerkins/ pickles here. :)

Russ

To me as well as to rascal this is such an unusual idea for a soup. I was wondering if it was German in origin. I then checked the web link and noted it was Polish so I wasn't far off. Further research revealed its known as ogórkowa in Polish.

I'm really liking the idea of this.

Yes, it sounds weird - when my husband first mentioned it, I was like “pickle soup? Huh?” but it is really delicious. My husband is Polish, and this is one of the soups he grew up on.

I am also obliged to tell you all that my husband insists this must be made with kosher dills, “or else it doesn’t taste right”.

My husband is Polish, and this is one of the soups he grew up on.

I am also obliged to tell you all that my husband insists this must be made with kosher dills, “or else it doesn’t taste right”.

What makes kosher dill cucumber kosher? I'm always puzzled by the kosher rules. My ignorance

I’m not sure, but I think “kosher” dills just means the cucumbers have been fermented in brine. Non-kosher dills will frequently use vinegar to create the sour flavour.

Kosher dills are usually kept in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Strub’s is the brand we buy and works great in this soup.

Back
Top Bottom