The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:29 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0695.JPG

I usually make a plan when I pickle. This was not one of those times. I had bought a bunch of asparagus the way I often buy things: it was there and it was cheap, so I bought it. But, after 2 days in the vegetable drawer, I realized I had to do something with it. So, I pickled it.

I started with my usual dill pickle recipe, then took a detour to North Africa, adding Ras El Hanout and whole allspice. This makes a pickle that is absurdly flavorful, and good enough to have by itself (you'll want to skip the sandwich and just have this when you taste how flavorful it is).

Ingredients

5 garlic cloves, peeled and split
1 serrano pepper, seeded and sliced
1 cup white vinegar
3 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon Ras El Hanout
1⁄2 ounce fresh dill
1⁄2 teaspoon celery seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon peppercorn, mixed if possible
1 pound asparagus

Directions

1. Cut woody ends from asparagus and discard.
  2. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic. Cook for 4 minutes. Add serrano pepper and boil for 1 more minute. Add the vinegar, salt, and Ras El Hanout. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, stirring until the salt and Ras El Hanout dissolve. Remove from heat.
  3. In a clear 1-quart jar, place the dill, seeds, and peppercorns. Using tongs, remove the garlic from the brine and place garlic cloves in the jar. Then, pack the jar full of asparagus. The jar should be tightly stuffed.
  4. If the brine isn't still hot, bring back to a boil, then pour into the jar to completely cover the vegetables. Allow to cool on the counter, then cover and refrigerate. The asparagus will taste good in a few hours, but will be better in a few days.

Last edited:
I've never thought to pickle asparagus before. I think this sounds like an interesting recipe.

Sounds a great idea. British asparagus has just come into season so ideal time to try this. When pickled how long do they keep? Indefinitely like pickled onions? If so, a great store cupboard tapas component!

Back
Top Bottom