Recipe Pickled Quail's Eggs with Tomato and Chilli Jellies and Caperberries

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:45 AM
Unashamedly pretentious! But I had such fun. :D This is intended as an individual starter plate.

IMGP0794.jpg

Photographed a few days ago in natural light.
Ingredients
For the pickled eggs:
Quail's eggs
White vinegar
Turmeric
Sugar
For the tomato jelly:
Tin of crushed tomatoes, pushed through a sieve
Chopped tarragon
Agar Agar
Salt to taste
For the chilli jelly:
Red chillies
Lime juice and water
To finish:
Caperberries
Urad Dhal sprouts (you can sprout lentils/peas on your windowsill in a matter of days)
Toasted sesame seeds
Olive oil and lime juice

Method
  • Boil the quails eggs for 4 minutes and allow to cool in cold water. Then cover them shell-on in vinegar (any cheap vinegar will do) and leave for half an hour. This partially dissolves the shell making them easy to peel.
  • Place enough white vinegar to cover the eggs in a saucepan and add sugar and salt to taste. Add ground turmeric. Heat the mixture and simmer for ten minutes. Allow to cool.
  • Peel the eggs, cover with vinegar and leave for a few hours in the fridge.
  • Place sieved tomato and tarragon in a saucepan and add the agar agar following packet instructions for a firm set. Add salt to taste. Pour the mixture into a small sandwich box and leave to set in the fridge
  • Mix lime juice with water and chopped chillies and add agar agar following packet instructions for a firm set. Pour mixture into a small sandwich box and leave ti set in the fridge.
  • Once set, cut the tomato jelly and chilli jelly into cubes.
  • Arrange the ingredients as shown, sprinkled with tasted sesame seeds and drizzled with olive oil/lime juice.
IMGP0796.jpg

Interesting but - Never tried them so do quails eggs actually taste any different to hens eggs ?
A little more 'creamy' in my experience. But basically similar and can be cooked just the same way as hen's eggs. Nice little diet snack as each egg only has 14 calories! :D They are good for canapes as they are so small and perch nicely on a blini. Great with some caviar - not real caviar. I cant afford that!. They are quite expensive I suppose, but not ridiculously so. £2.65 for 12 in Waitrose.

I did not even check this recipe in it's entirety. It's so pretty!! It's almost like a painting. I really like this even if I will never try it.

I did not even check this recipe in it's entirety. It's so pretty!! It's almost like a painting. I really like this even if I will never try it.
Thank you. But why will you never try it? Its actually quite easy to make. Perhaps, though, you can't get quail's eggs, or agar agar (could substitute gelatine). But for sure, you could sprout a few lentils or peas on a windowsill. :D

Thank you. But why will you never try it? Its actually quite easy to make. Perhaps, though, you can't get quail's eggs, or agar agar (could substitute gelatine). But for sure, you could sprout a few lentils or peas on a windowsill. :D
You've got it....no quail eggs for starters. Plus I know it won't look like this and I love presentation!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom