Recipe Pickled Redcurrants

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:59 PM
You could try making pickled redcurrants. Great with cheese in a Ploughman's lunch. This requires less sugar than jelly:
  • 150ml white vinegar
  • 75g sugar
  • 2 allspice berries
  • 3-4cm piece cinnamon stick
  • 1 clove
  • 275g redcurrants
Place the vinegar, sugar, allspice, cinnamon and clove in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pack the washed redcurrants into sterilised jars, nearly to the top. Pour the liquid over them so that it comes right to the top of the jar. Seal jars. Keeps ages. But don't open for at least a month.

I'm curious about these! Do you have any other tips for how to use them apart from Ploughman's lunches?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the wait time for me if I didn't really know what else I could use them for...but I guess like you said they keep for a long time!

I should say they would be great with lamb,and even duck ,sweet and sour cuts fatty meats well
I'm such a fan of pickled fruits with meat. Today I'm making a quick mango pickle to go with some duck liver pate and home made rye bread. I often do that rather than making long-lasting pickles. Its pretty instant to make a pickle from some fresh fruit. Almost fast food!

I'm such a fan of pickled fruits with meat. Today I'm making a quick mango pickle to go with some duck liver pate and home made rye bread. I often do that rather than making long-lasting pickles. Its pretty instant to make a pickle from some fresh fruit. Almost fast food!
it would be take on sweet and sour,i love pickled white cabbage with duck and a sweet puree ,and sweetened onions with lamb and vinegar with mint is a tradition,or red currant jelly

Back
Top Bottom