Recipe Pickling Dragon Fruit

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:42 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Dragon fruit is, quite simply, the supermodel of the jungle. It's absolutely gorgeous...so much so that I almost regret cutting it open and pickling it. Almost.

6144-d5555d38bec7088a023f813b8154ce93.jpg

The inside of the dragon fruit tastes like a mild kiwi. This is a bit of a disappointment after seeing such a glorious exterior. I was expecting fireworks, choirs of angels singing, that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, that exterior isn't edible. But, all is not lost.

I've pickled a lot of things using savory components. And, I've also added sugar to some pickling to give the vegetable a nice balance (pickled red onions come to mind). But, here, I wanted to go full-on sweet. So, here's what I used:

1 dragon fruit
1 cup white vinegar or apple vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon orange peel
1/2 cup coconut flakes

1. Slice dragon fruit in half. Cut each half into quarters, and use a metal spoon to scoop out the fruit. Slice the fruit into wedges or cubes.
6145-40ae40484709b6894265061d561f3323.jpg

2. Using a medium-sized pot, start heating the vinegar and water and dissolve sugar into the liquid. Add cinnamon sticks, orange peel, and coconut flakes and bring to a boil.

3. Immediately remove the pot from the heat and add the dragon fruit. Cover pot and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.

4. Extract fruit carefully from pot using tongs and place in a glass jar: dragon fruit is soft, so take care not to crush it. Pour as much of the liquid as possible into the jar, making sure to include the cinnamon sticks.

5. Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy with toasted coconut-cinnamon ice cream or by itself.

6146-65666819bc7261836d32360b0b4aa12b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh oops. Edit and click on upload files.
Then pick your size.

I thought you lost them on your tablet.

Oh oops. Edit and click on upload files.
Then pick your size.

I thought you lost them on your tablet.
Sorry...I don't see where "documents" or "upload files" are in the Post dialogue. I clicked the camera button (above), and created a photo album. But, how do I now connect the album with this thread? The only options for images in the Image button seems to be including pics from a URL.

EDIT: I decided to link to the pics in the photo album. If there's a better way, I'd love to know, but this works.

Last edited:
Sorry...I don't see where "documents" or "upload files" are in the Post dialogue. I clicked the camera button (above), and created a photo album. But, how do I now connect the album with this thread? The only options for images in the Image button seems to be including pics from a URL.

EDIT: I decided to link to the pics in the photo album. If there's a better way, I'd love to know, but this works.
Documents aren't (was thinking you couldn't find them on your device), now look right beside Post Reply, there is a button labeled upload a file. I use that for pictures.
Oh and they look fantastic.

The pictures look great. There are two ways to upload images into a post. You can do as you did and create media files first, then click on the camera icon and your media files appear. Click on the image you want and it enters the link to your image. When you post, the image will appear.

The second way is to upload them directly from your computer device. To do this, click on 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of your post. Find the file you want and click on it. It will then appear below your post with the option 'Thumbnail' or 'Full Image'. Click on your preferred option and the image will appear.

We had a plant. I think we recovered two fruits from it in 5 years. We were obviously doing something wrong.

This is one of them (never thought to pickle it).

dragonfruit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom