Source: Skinnytaste - Delicious Healthy Recipes Made with Real Food

INGREDIENTS

4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
1-2 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, no stems
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper, (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

In a bowl combine all ingredients.
Let it marinate in the refrigerator at least an hour for best results.

From: skinnytaste - Delicious Healthy Recipes From My Family to Yours Skinnytaste - Delicious Healthy Recipes Made with Real Food

I've never used bell pepper in my pico. The recipe says "optional," so I would leave it out, myself.

If you are like me, and have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, dice VERY fine and use very little -- not 1/4 cup. I find that if I do that, I get some of the cilantro flavor without the soap taste, once the pico sits in the fridge for a while.

Cd

I've never used bell pepper in my pico. The recipe says "optional," so I would leave it out, myself.

If you are like me, and have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, dice VERY fine and use very little -- not 1/4 cup. I find that if I do that, I get some of the cilantro flavor without the soap taste, once the pico sits in the fridge for a while.

Cd
It seems like many people have a love/hate relationship with cilantro. I like it so I use it but I would prepare a dish the way my guests, when I have them, would prefer it.

I must admit though, I've never heard anyone say it tastes like soap. Do you think it's from however they rinse it before packaging?

It seems like many people have a love/hate relationship with cilantro. I like it so I use it but I would prepare a dish the way my guests, when I have them, would prefer it.

I must admit though, I've never heard anyone say it tastes like soap. Do you think it's from however they rinse it before packaging?
No, it's a genetic thing. It's the same for my wife...and one of my nieces...and another niece...

How so? I'm in quite a bit of pain so my brain fog is pretty dense today.
This is from Encyclopedia Britannica's website (remember them?):

...for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves.

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
This is from Encyclopedia Britannica's website (remember them?):

...for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves.
I learned something new today! Thanks.

Back in high school my parents bought two new side-by-side refrigerators (their kitchen is huge) with ice makers. My mother, younger sister and I all complained that the ice and water tasted weird. Our father basically said we were all crazy and to shut up about it. So, we all just dealt with it. Fast forward about a month and he went to get a glass of ice water and tasted the nastiness. He replaced both fridges that day. ;-)

No, it is genetic. Why Does Cilantro Taste Like Soap to Some People?

CD

I am one of those people who dislike cilantro because it tastes like soap to me. I thought I was weird (well yes 😅), and I also wondered “should I use it in the shower and grate the soap bar on my pasta instead?”

I never noticed soap taste in cilantro, I just don't really like the flavor.

T

Back
Top Bottom