Recipe Pie Crust

Do you prefer making your pie crust homemade, or buying it premade?

• Homemade pie crusts all the way!

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Store-bought pie crusts are easy and the best!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
3:53 AM
What is your go-to pie crust recipe? Do you like to make your crusts homemade, or do you "cheat" and buy store-bought pie crusts?
I usually use a very basic pie crust recipe and alter it from time to time. When I'm in a pinch, or a rush for time, I do sometimes buy store-bought pie crusts. Guilty! :( But they are still yummy!
Here's my recipe for my homemade pie crust:
Ingredients:
1 1/ cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (usually 1 stick)
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
Directions:
Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl and stir it. Cut the butter and add it to the mixture. Next, add the water and mix it until it forms a dough. Shape the dough into the pie pan, cover it in plastic, and refrigerate it for at least 45 minutes.
What about you? Store bough pie crusts, or homemade? If homemade, what is your favorite pie crust recipe?

One of my favourite pie crusts is a savoury pie crust that includes mashed potatoes...

Ingredients
6oz (175g) mashed potato
8oz (225g) plain flour
3oz (85g) butter or dairy-free marg/veg marg etc...
pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp. water

Method
rub the butter/marg into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the mashed potato & salt and mix well. Add water as needed (or usually not) to make a firm dough.

We use it most often with a leek pie mix but it works well with any winter vegetables...

One of my favourite pie crusts is a savoury pie crust that includes mashed potatoes...

Ingredients
6oz (175g) mashed potato
8oz (225g) plain flour
3oz (85g) butter or dairy-free marg/veg marg etc...
pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp. water

Method
rub the butter/marg into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the mashed potato & salt and mix well. Add water as needed (or usually not) to make a firm dough.

We use it most often with a leek pie mix but it works well with any winter vegetables...

WOW! I have never heard of using mashed potoato! That is so neat and different! I would love to try your recipe! This crust sounds perfect to use for making a pot pie.
Thank you so much for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom