Recipe Pig's Ear Salad - It might not be for everyone, but...

avon2p

Local time
1:43 PM
Pig's Ear Salad - It might not be for everyone, but dare to taste and to discover a new flavor that will blow your taste buds?

vlog1_thumbnail.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 1 pig's ear
  • 3-4 slices of ginger
  • 2 shallots
  • 1/3 cup of toasted sesame seeds
  • Ficus racemosa (cluster fig) leaves
  • 1 galangal root
  • 3 stalks of lemongrass
  • 1 lime
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 4 chili peppers
  • 2 star fruits
  • 4 lime leaves
  • Sugar, seasoning powder, fish sauce
Instructions:
  • Place pig's ear, sliced ginger and shallots into a pot and boil for 15 - 20 minutes. Slice the pig's ear into thin pieces
  • Slice galangal and lemongrass, grind in a blender.
  • Trim the edge of the star fruits. Cut one star fruit into star-shaped pieces and julienne the other.
  • Slice lime leaves and 3 chili peppers thinly.
  • Add the pig's ear, jullienned star fruit, galangal, lemongrass, sugar, seasoning powder, toasted sesame seeds, lime leaves, lime juice and chili peppers into a bowl and mix well.
  • Fish sauce: Grind well chili pepper, garlic and sugar. Add lime juice, fish sauce and boiled water and stir well.
  • Serve with cluster fig leaves and shiso leaves.
Sorry for my bad English.I am not a native speaker of English.

Not a readily available ingredient locally. Some folks eat the ears from a whole hog BBQ. Don't think I've seen them in the local Asian (mostly Chinese) market. When you refer to lime leaves, do you mean Kaffir lime leaves?

We raised and butchered our own meat when I was a kid (beef, pork, and chicken). We always used the ears. Mom would mince it up and fry it sometimes, along with the snout, and lot of other bits and pieces, and it was always good.

The salad looks fine to me. :)

Pig's Ear Salad - It might not be for everyone, but dare to taste and to discover a new flavor that will blow your taste buds?

View attachment 29825

Ingredients:
  • 1 pig's ear
  • 3-4 slices of ginger
  • 2 shallots
  • 1/3 cup of toasted sesame seeds
  • Ficus racemosa (cluster fig) leaves
  • 1 galangal root
  • 3 stalks of lemongrass
  • 1 lime
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 4 chili peppers
  • 2 star fruits
  • 4 lime leaves
  • Sugar, seasoning powder, fish sauce
Instructions:
  • Place pig's ear, sliced ginger and shallots into a pot and boil for 15 - 20 minutes. Slice the pig's ear into thin pieces
  • Slice galangal and lemongrass, grind in a blender.
  • Trim the edge of the star fruits. Cut one star fruit into star-shaped pieces and julienne the other.
  • Slice lime leaves and 3 chili peppers thinly.
  • Add the pig's ear, jullienned star fruit, galangal, lemongrass, sugar, seasoning powder, toasted sesame seeds, lime leaves, lime juice and chili peppers into a bowl and mix well.
  • Fish sauce: Grind well chili pepper, garlic and sugar. Add lime juice, fish sauce and boiled water and stir well.
  • Serve with cluster fig leaves and shiso leaves.
Sorry for my bad English.I am not a native speaker of English.

I've never tried it, but it looks good!! :wink:

Not a readily available ingredient locally. Some folks eat the ears from a whole hog BBQ. Don't think I've seen them in the local Asian (mostly Chinese) market. When you refer to lime leaves, do you mean Kaffir lime leaves?
These are Key lime leaves. but, you can use other kinds of lime leaves (Kaffir lime leaves, Persian lime leaves...) :D

We raised and butchered our own meat when I was a kid (beef, pork, and chicken). We always used the ears. Mom would mince it up and fry it sometimes, along with the snout, and lot of other bits and pieces, and it was always good.

The salad looks fine to me. :)
Thank you so much! ^^

You write in English very well.

Dad used to make pig's ears - he served them hot, but also sliced. He and I enjoyed them. I would like to try your recipe. There are not many places here that will sell them, however.
Thanks for the compliment!

seasoning powder
What do you use for a seasoning powder? I know there is a Vietnamese seasoning that's similar to Chinese Five Spice (the ingredients common with Chinese Five Spice are shown in bold):
  • Cloves.
  • Star Anise.
  • Cinnamon.
  • Cardamom.
  • Schezuan Peppercorns.
  • Fennel Seeds.
  • Annatto Seeds.
It seems that the only reliable place to get pig ears in the States is via mail order (though I do plan to stop by a few local Asian markets to see if they have any). Thanks for sharing!

^^^ If you have a decent butcher, they ought to be able to help you out. Sometimes, they just need to put an order in with their supplier.

I'm lucky that way in that I not only have two good old-fashioned butchers near, but a very small family-owned meat processing operation. They do a lot of pig roasts and deer processing during deer season. Maybe you have someone like that nearby?

If you have a decent butcher, they ought to be able to help you out. Sometimes, they just need to put an order in with their supplier.
This is a great idea! It doesn't hurt to ask for a special order, and they might know of another butcher shop that can get it if they can't. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom