Recipe Pineapple upside-down cake

Local time
2:41 PM
This cake was one of the desserts being served after my Easter dinner this year. It made a good combination with ice cream. Here's the recipe for this cake.

To Top Cake
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in greased pan
Add 1/2 cup brown sugar
Halve 4 canned pineapple slices; place in mixture.
Halve red cherries; place 1 piece in centre of each pineapple slice.

Cake:
Ingredients:

1/3 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pineapple syrup
1 egg

Method:
Combine dry ingredients and add pineapple syrup, grated lemon or lime peel and 1 slightly beaten egg.
Mix to make a thick batter and pour over pineapple.
Bake in a moderate oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till done.
Let stand for 10 minutes, then invert on plate.

upload_2016-3-31_8-46-50.jpeg

Upside down cakes are a wonderful thing. A bit like a Tarte Tatin which uses the same idea but with puff pastry. I'm not the biggest fan of pineapple but I love the retro look of this cake with its bright red cherries in sunshine yellow pineapple rings. I think I will make one next week! :D

Wow, I haven't had an upside down cake in forever. To be honest, they are good, but not really my favorite. I probably wouldn't make one but would just eat one for nostalgia's sake sometime if I saw it somewhere. I think I prefer dump cakes and things of that ilk. They are really my favorite cakes of that type and ones that I will eat when I have a chance.

Wow, I haven't had an upside down cake in forever. To be honest, they are good, but not really my favorite. I probably wouldn't make one but would just eat one for nostalgia's sake sometime if I saw it somewhere. I think I prefer dump cakes and things of that ilk. They are really my favorite cakes of that type and ones that I will eat when I have a chance.
I don't know what a dump cake is... but the word 'dump' has unfortunate connotations in the UK!!! :laugh::laugh:. I'll go and Google Dump Cake...

is that your cake in the picture? I hope to make this cake one of these days.

No, that is not my cake in the picture. I have never made a pineapple upside-down cake. My niece made one for Easter Sunday (not her cake in the photo) and it came out really nice, so I just thought I would look up the recipe and share it. I hope I too would be able to make a cake like this one of these days.

This cake was one of the desserts being served after my Easter dinner this year. It made a good combination with ice cream. Here's the recipe for this cake.

To Top Cake
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in greased pan
Add 1/2 cup brown sugar
Halve 4 canned pineapple slices; place in mixture.
Halve red cherries; place 1 piece in centre of each pineapple slice.

Cake:
Ingredients:

1/3 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pineapple syrup
1 egg

Method:
Combine dry ingredients and add pineapple syrup, grated lemon or lime peel and 1 slightly beaten egg.
Mix to make a thick batter and pour over pineapple.
Bake in a moderate oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till done.
Let stand for 10 minutes, then invert on plate.

View attachment 2520

Yet another childhood favorite of mine!!

Our mom used to make that as well! I've done it many times also! Only I also put chopped pecans or walnuts on the bottom of the pan with the melted butter, brown sugar, pineapple slices & cherries.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom