Pintxos

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
7:10 PM
I recently learned about this kind of Basque (Northern part of the Iberian Peninsular) bar food called Pintxos from a Basque friend of mine. You could say they are the Basque region's version of Tapas since they are commonly served in bars along with alcoholic beverages. The name 'Pintxos' is after the toothpick/wooden spike that holds the toppings on apparently.

He showed me how to make two kinds, but apparently there are hundreds of different types.

The slices of baguette are lightly fried in olive oil with some crushed garlic in before being topped.

These are my attempts when I got home:

Smoked Salmon with sliced boiled egg and an olive (he told me I had forgotten the honey mustard it's supposed to have)

IMG_9518.jpg

White and black anchovy with capsicum

IMG_9519.jpg

We went to a Kraftwerk gig in Bilbao a while back and spent the whole weekend trawling bars and eating Pintxos, it was lush. Some bars have a general range, some bars have specialities of one or two types. It is our intention to go to San Sebastian and spend a few days enjoying the city and going on food tours to find the very best pintxos and Basque food.

We went to a Kraftwerk gig in Bilbao a while back and spent the whole weekend trawling bars and eating Pintxos, it was lush. Some bars have a general range, some bars have specialities of one or two types. It is our intention to go to San Sebastian and spend a few days enjoying the city and going on food tours to find the very best pintxos and Basque food.
Ok, what are they? Never heard of them.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom