Pistachios

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
4:58 PM
Pistachios have a really nice flavor and they are great in cakes and breads. It's usually better to use the unsalted ones for baking, but they really add a nice touch to baked goods. I made a pistachio almond cake that was quite delicious. Just add ground pistachios to your favorite white cake recipe.

I like the Mediterranean snack called halva when it's made with pistachios. I've also had them in almond-based cakes and pastries.

I think salted pistachios are good in salads and for snacking. They can also be added to rice during cooking and used in pasta dishes.

I like pistachios better when they're cooked and not just as one of the ingredients. I haven't tasted a pistachio-flavored bread or cake yet, although I'm certain the taste would be something unique. As an icecream flavor, however, I can't really recommend pistachio. I once ate a Gelato icecream in this flavor and it really made me dizzy. There's a strange aftertaste to it. I don't know if you tasted such an icecream before.

Well I like most nuts, peanuts and cashews being my favourites. I cannot say I have ever tasted the pistachio nut on its own. I have had pistachio ice cream on a couple of occasions and to me it was okay. However, I prefer to eat nuts just as they are and not as an ingredient in anything. I do not like nuts in cakes or bread. I am okay with fruit and nut chocolate bars though. .

I have never been a fan of pistachios but I know they are very healthy. I like them best when mixed into something so the flavor isn't so strong. Your cake idea sounds pretty good flavor wise. Unfortunately I can't have cake so I will need to find another way to try to get myself used to these nuts as I probably should be including them in my diet.

As someone mentioned above, pistachios are also good in salads. You could make a quick bread that has less sugar than cake as well, if sugar is the issue (or use another type of sweetening rather than sugar). You could also try chopping or grinding them up to add them to stuff so you don't get the strong flavor (I like the flavor but if you don't, having the pieces smaller and more spread out could work).

Back
Top Bottom